Rack & pinion question

Old 02-21-05, 05:22 AM
Rack & pinion question

1997 chrysler 108,000 miles with 3.5L, when sitting still, if you rock the steering wheel back and forth you can hear clunk sound (sounds sounds like its coming from the rank). But when driving its not heard, and there no play in the steering. Is this anything to be concern about?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 09:52 AM
Steering is always something to be concerned about.... I have seen control arm bushing failures on many FWD Dodge products. While it's up, check the inner and outer tie rod ends, too.

Old 02-21-05, 03:14 PM
More likely your tie rod end bushing are gone, typical problem on Dodge/Chrysler, you don't have to replace the steering rack assembly, just the tie rods, it's one heck of the job if you are not familiar with the system.

Look at the outer tie rods and follow them to the inner one, have someone moving the sterring wheel back and forward while looking at the inner ones, or put your hand on those tie rods and see if you can feel it clunking.

Old 02-21-05, 05:39 PM
Well this car has inner bushing, not really tie-rod, but either way I replaced them about 9 months ago. clunk sounds more center of car, I had someone turn steering wheel while I watch the tires, any little movement of steering wheel the tires seem to move. When I take in for lignment check I will have them check the outer tie-rod ends. How do you tell of the rack is going bad\or is bad?

Thanks

Old 02-22-05, 03:04 AM
The reason I said look at the outer end and follow it to the inner end because it's not easy to tell where they are, once you know where they are located (the inner) ask someone jerking the steering wheel and see if there's any bushing left in there. When the inner bushing is bad/gone, you'll hear the clunking noise more likely in the center of the vehicle, you also don't have to replace the whole rack, when you buy the rack, there's no tie rods come with.

Other way to do it is jack up the front so both front wheels off the ground (make sure you set the parking brake and choked the wheels) and shake the wheel side by side to find out which side is bad.