81 Camaro Fuel gauge problem

Old 02-21-05, 12:45 PM
Anti_Hero
Visiting Guest
81 Camaro Fuel gauge problem

Ok here is the problem.... I have an 81 camaro but I do not have the right fuel gauge. When I bought the car there was a fuel gauge mounted on the back window!! So now I want to get it up front and I dont know how to hook the fuel gauge back up. There are three points on the gauge, which I assume are for the ground, hot (ign.) and the sender. But there are no markings on the gauge so I dont know what order the hook up. I tried all combinations and one way the gauge goes way past full the other it goes way past empty and the last way goes to the empty line but... there is lots of fuel in the tank. Anyone have any idea of how it should go, or how to find out? Any help is help to me. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 01:38 PM
Sorry, man... you bought a broken car and Lord only knows what the previous owner screwed up. If he is capable of this, he could be capable of anything. Did the gauge read correctly when it was in the back window... if not there could be other problems in the system.

Most fuel gauges require the use of a CVR (constant voltage regulator) to maintain a relatively constant voltage level to the gauge and sensor. Applying battery (read as charging system) voltage will give inaccurate readings.

Old 02-22-05, 12:07 PM
Anti_Hero
Visiting Guest
Yeah the gauge did actually work when it was on the back window. I think it was actually out of a firebird, it was a volt and fuel gauge unit. Ill keep trying at it. Thanks.

Old 02-22-05, 01:13 PM
Just something to check......check the fuse it goes to to see if has blown if you had hooked it up wrong. Hopefully you didn't ruin the gauge. Try going to the manufacture's web site or do a search for it on google. You might luck up and find some info.

Old 02-22-05, 06:50 PM
Forget my last post. There may not be a fuse. This is what I'm thinking now, hopefully, it's right.

From this page: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-gauge2.htm, It looks like there is one hot wire (with the CVR) and one wire that that goes to the sending unit, with the sending unit providing the ground. The other wire, I believe, is for ground for the voltage gauge only and a backlight if there is one, so you wouldn't need it for the fuel guage to work. I would not try hooking a ground wire to any of the wires from the gauge yet. When you get the fuel gauge working, you can connect ground to the 3rd wire for the voltage gauge.

The best thing to do is to use the existing connections you had and extend the wires to the front.

Old 03-01-05, 08:16 AM
Anti_Hero
Visiting Guest
You said hopfully I didn't ruin the gauge, how can I ruin the guage? By hooking up the wrong wires? Because if thats the case I think I probly did. And since I took it off the back window the driver side tail light has gone out. So I think it was hooked up to the gauge wires some how. I forget how they were all hooked up because the guy just had a pile of wires wraped up in tape, some weren't even being used. I have three wires in the back two come from one hole in the back, one is for the tail light I asume and the other im not sure of. The other one is on the bottom of the trunk and it's wraped around a nut and bolt.

Old 03-02-05, 03:22 PM
I thought if you hooked up 12V and ground to the wrong wires it might blow the gauge but I don't know if that would blow it or not. There is a fuse you can check if you haven't already. It's a 10 amp fuse that also controls the warning lights, headlight buzzer, cruise control, and seat belt warning buzzer. If none of these things are working, check the fuse.

The wire wrapped around the nut and bolt is a ground wire.
Replace the tail light bulb or swap the left and right one to see if you just have a bad bulb.

Old 03-07-05, 06:51 AM
Anti_Hero
Visiting Guest
Yeah none of those things work. Ill check the fuse and I will get back to you if it worked. Thanks for all of your help.