Air in the cooling system?

Old 02-23-05, 06:59 AM
rjay9
Visiting Guest
Air in the cooling system?

I have a 1993 Sable that I think has air in the cooling system that I donít know how to get out. There is an occasional gurgling sound after the car is started and on our first extended use of the car (over 200 miles) the temperature gauge kept going up and down like a water bubble was being passed. Should the system be bleed? If so how?

Thanks,
Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-05, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Any chance the gurgling sound is in the dash area? Had that with the Sable my brother used to have (also a '93) and had to "burp" it. You need to get it on as steep an incline as you can (car ramps or a steep driveway; I used the wheel lift on my wrecker and put the front end about 3 feet in the air) and then warm it up with the radiator cap off. As the coolant starts to warm and circulate you will get some overflow out the filler neck (can be a little messy) and when the thermostat finally opens the air in the system should be expelled. Be ready with some water or coolant and when you see the level drop in the filler neck, top it off and put the cap on. There are also machines to accomplish this, but this should work as a DIY.

Search this Thread