fuel injector leaking?

Old 02-23-05, 09:55 AM
jn
fuel injector leaking?

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L inline 6 cyl
I noticed a strong gas smell when I shut off the engine. When I popped the hood to investigate I noticed fuel leaking from the front of the fuel rail around the area where the fuel pressure regulator and first injector sit. I removed the fuel rail, injectors, and regulator. I cleaned and replaced all o'rings and seals involved. There are 6 o'rings that go from the top of the injectors to the rail and an o'ring in the regulator and 6 seals from the injectors to the the intake manifold.
I reassembled it all and still have a similar leak.
I was wondering if it is common for the body of failed fuel injectors to leak into the engine compartment ... or is it more likely that I messed up an o'ring just coincidently in the same area.
I wish I had moved the injectors around but I installed them in the same order.
I have tried to watch carefully with a paper towell wiping around that area and it looks like the injector slightly weeps gas but it is very hard to tell from where.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-05, 03:37 PM
I would think that the injector or the fuel rail is the problem.Changing o-rings is fairly easy and hard to make a mistake.You could swap the injector with another and find out for sure.

Search this Thread