1995 Mercury Cougar overheating

Old 02-23-05, 04:03 PM
mickeylegleux
Visiting Guest
1995 Mercury Cougar overheating

I have a 1995 Mercury Cougar w/V6 engine. The engine if overheating. I have already changed the thermostat which did not correct the problem. I tested the 2 speed electric fan and found that the low speed did not work. I tested the fan by removing it from the automobile and attempted to run the fan using a 15 amp fused jumpers from the battery. The high speed ran fine but the low speed blew the fuses. After installing the new fan the problem was still there. The overheating problem came up immediately and was runnning fine up until the problem started. I tried to find the fuse for the low speed fan but have not located it yet. I suspect the low speed fan is not getting power because the fan only comes on when the gauge is all the way to the right. Any help finding the fuse is appreciated. I do not suspect the water pump since it is not leaking or making any noise. I have not tried flushing the engine yet and do not suspect that that is the problem since the problem came up very suddenly.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-05, 05:18 PM
You may have a blown headgasket. I say this because the 95 3.8 is known to suffer from this problem. Do you get abnormally high pressure in the cooling system such as the overflow bottle spilling its contents? This would be another symptom to look for, as well as bubbling in the radiator while the engine is running.

Old 02-23-05, 08:22 PM
Try replacing the constant control relay module. That is most likely the problem if the fan is getting no power on low speed, but power on high speed. There is only one fuse that feeds power to both speeds, a 60 amp fuse, #5 in the fuse box under the hood. The old fan probably damaged the module.

Until you get it fixed, try turning on the A/C or defrost. I think that will turn on the high speed fan anytime it's turned on.

Wiring diagram: http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d8014eb55.gif

Old 02-24-05, 02:48 PM
i wonder if its connected to the altenator

Old 02-25-05, 08:26 AM
mickeylegleux
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jeff67
Try replacing the constant control relay module. That is most likely the problem if the fan is getting no power on low speed, but power on high speed. There is only one fuse that feeds power to both speeds, a 60 amp fuse, #5 in the fuse box under the hood. The old fan probably damaged the module.

Until you get it fixed, try turning on the A/C or defrost. I think that will turn on the high speed fan anytime it's turned on.

Wiring diagram: http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d8014eb55.gif
Those sound like good suggestions and I will follow them. We have already tried turning on the A/C but the compressor does not come on nor does the low speed cooling fan. I do not know if the A/C problem is related to the cooling problem because we have not had a chance to continue trouble shooting. Thanks for the diagram. It matches the color coding better that the service manual we have.

Old 02-25-05, 08:53 AM
Follow the wiring from the A/C and see if it goes to the constant control relay module(CCRM). I think it does even though it's not shown on the wiring diagram I linked to. If so, all the more reason to suspect a blown CCRM.

Old 02-26-05, 08:15 AM
mickeylegleux
Visiting Guest
Ccrm

I have removed the Constant Control Relay Module and checked with a couple of Automotive Parts stores for a replacement. Neither have it in inventory. They need to order it from the manufacturer and will cost about $150 and may take up to 3 weeks to come in. I have not ordered it yet and will continue to search for a used one, better price or one in inventory. In the mean while I will remove the cover to the suspect module and see if can isolate the faulty component. The CCRM number is F48F-12B577-AA. Thanks again for your help and if you know when I can get my hands on a replacement that would be great.

Old 02-26-05, 09:08 AM
You could probably find it online at one of the part sites like www.rockauto.com if you want to go that way. Or try finding it at a junk yard from a wrecked vehicle, one who's hood is still on and closed protecting it from the rain. You're always taking a risk buying it like this because you probably won't get a warranty that it will work. They can cross reference at the junk yard so you might find a different vehicle that uses the same part.

Not sure what the inside of the CCRM looks like but I assume its a circuit board with some relays. If so, look for a burned trace on the board you could fix with a wire, if you know how to solder, if you don't see any relays that look damaged.

Old 02-26-05, 09:28 AM
One more thing...if you're in a bind, tap a switch and fuse into the 12V fan wire to battery to bypass the module, till you get it fixed. You'll just have to keep turning the switch off and on manually. You still might need the CCRM hooked up because it might supply power to the fuel pump or something else.

Old 02-26-05, 10:09 AM
If you do connect a temporary switch, disconnect the fan wires from the CCRM and wire the switch to the high speed fan wire. If you had voltage going to the low speed fan wire and then the high speed fan got voltage, further damage could result.

Old 02-27-05, 05:49 AM
had same problem few years ago and it was the water pump
because it dose'nt leak or make noise as you no behind the water pum are impellers which break down, impellers are what pushes your coolant.
good luck

Old 02-27-05, 07:59 PM
Smile

Before you spend any money on the Constant Control Relay. Take it with you to the Dealer and ask if they can check it for you. We have a tester that will test these in a matter of minutes. Just remember to buy the TECH a coke!

Old 02-27-05, 08:02 PM
Also watch out for HEADGASKET problems!

Old 02-28-05, 06:09 PM
Good idea hogfan. A test would definitely be well worth the price of a coke.