GMC Doesn't like to idle when cold

Old 02-24-05, 03:16 AM
Seadragon
Visiting Guest
GMC Doesn't like to idle when cold

I have a '93 GMC Siearra P/U with a 5.7 in it. The engine doesn't like to idle or take gas when it's below 50 degrees. If you have to move it before it warms, It backfires thru the throttle body and bogs down unless you really sit down on it. When the engine warms up it runs fine. I have replaced the EGR valve, the Idle Air Control Valve. There are no codes in the ECM. I have some blowby in the engine, (a blown headgasket?).
I'm going crazy here! Help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-05, 03:41 AM
I would be looking at the fuel pressure(has the filter been changed),coolant sensor and intake air temp sensor.When the engine is cold the readings for the coolant and air temp sensors should match within a few degrees.You would need a scan tool to check it.Also look to see if the coolant sensor or air temp sensor connections are corroded.

Old 02-24-05, 10:11 AM
Seadragon
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I have replaced the fuel filter, twice! A mechanic here told me he thought it was water in the gas, so we ran some fuel traetment thru it. He also told me that I probably souldn't run the truck down past a quarter of a tank, to keep from picking up anything out of the tank. Needless to say I don't use is services anymore. So, I need to find a scan tool huh?

Old 02-24-05, 03:23 PM
I would unless you want to start throwing parts=money at it.