Best Radiator type

Old 02-25-05, 04:46 AM
Best Radiator type

I've been looking at radiators and have found ones with plastic tanks / aluminum cores and others with brass/copper combination. I'm not sure if the latter is brass tank and copper core or still contains some plastic.

Anyway, which radiator would be best? It seems the brass/copper ones are cheaper.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-05, 04:48 PM
I'd favor the brass/copper radiators. They are repairable for minor leaks.

Old 02-25-05, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Kestas
I'd favor the brass/copper radiators. They are repairable for minor leaks.
But they don't dissapate heat as well as aluminum. The brass/ copper will last longer though.

Old 02-25-05, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the information. How inefficient is the brass/copper over the aluminum?

Old 02-26-05, 06:09 AM
The last time I went to the SAE show, the copper group was marketing that copper/brass radiators are more efficient pound-for-pound over aluminum designs, allowing for smaller heat exchangers for the same capacity. This implies that copper/brass is more efficient.

Old 02-28-05, 09:14 PM
wagonman76
Visiting Guest
How about steel core radiators? How would they compare? When I checked out radiators last summer, steel core ones cost about twice as much as aluminum/plastic/brass/copper.

Old 03-01-05, 05:51 AM
I've never seen a steel core radiator, nor can I imagine making one. Steel has very poor heat conduction and poor corrosion resistance. This would be a horrible design. Are you sure it was steel? It's easy to verify by using a magnet.

Old 03-01-05, 07:04 PM
wagonman76
Visiting Guest
Not sure, thats just what a couple different parts stores told me when I went in and asked for radiator pricing. I didnt actually see the radiators, and they would have had to special order any radiator anyway, but they were on the list of available radiators and both places told me steel core.

I ended up buying one from Carquest, which did actually have radiators in stock. It was a steel tank / aluminum core, and they called as such. Maybe other places had this one and since it was steel tank and the whole thing was painted black, they thought it was steel core too. But still the price was nowhere as high as the steel core radiators other places told me about though, it was priced more like the cheaper ones.

Dont know, Ill have to do some digging, or Ill ask them next time I stop in to one of those other places. One place was AutoValue.