Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing mazda mx6 ignition

Visiting Guest

02-25-05, 03:29 PM   #1  
mazda owner
removing mazda mx6 ignition

I need help removing a mazda mx6 ignition. I broke off part of my key off and now I need to remove the ignition.If anyone has any key points or diagrams of the stearing column apart I could ues some help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-25-05, 07:18 PM   #2  
claims guy
Before you do anything to the steering column, make sure you disconnect the battery and allow MINIMUM 10 minutes for the residual voltage to drain from the airbag assembly. No sense having a big ol' fatal bruise on the side of your noggin.

If it's just a piece of key stuck in the lock cylinder, you might have some luck with a pair of miniature needle nose pliers, or even a hemostat to simply reach down in there and pull the broken piece out.

02-25-05, 07:21 PM   #3  
Hi Mazda Owner,

I'm not a mechanic, but I have seen my share of ignitions in Locksmithing. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove the ignition. You have to remove the steering colum shroud to gain access to the ignition. You will find it is part of a large unit which bolts around the actual steering colum. Disconnect the Negative battery cable, mark and unplug all connecting wires, and unbolt the ignition housing. Once you have that done, I suggest you take it to a Locksmith to have the broken piece of key removed, and if possible a new key made at the same time. You'll want the locksmith to remove the key to prevent damage. I hope this helps.

cuedude

Search this Thread