Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chevy Cavalier Trannny dip stick

Visiting Guest

02-27-05, 09:04 PM   #1  
hornetman
Chevy Cavalier Trannny dip stick

I recently purchased a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Cyl. In checking the fluid levels I found a cap over the driver side tranny well. Unscrew thw cap and I see a cable passing through the reservoir. The reservoir looks like a bottomless pit. Ther is no dip stick. How can a normal sane individual check the fluid level and ensure enough fluid is present?

Sponsored Links

02-28-05, 04:25 AM   #2  
You start the car warm the engine and shift through all the gears stopping in each one for several seconds.You the raise the car on a hoist or four jackstands and remove the plug towards the convertor side of the transmission.The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the hole.The engine must remain running during the procedure and not shut off until the plug is replaced.

03-02-05, 06:29 PM   #3  
Posted By: davo You start the car warm the engine and shift through all the gears stopping in each one for several seconds.You the raise the car on a hoist or four jackstands and remove the plug towards the convertor side of the transmission.The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the hole.The engine must remain running during the procedure and not shut off until the plug is replaced.
Thank you General Motors---what a GREAT design!

SD

03-03-05, 09:10 AM   #4  
thats werid because mine has a dipstick

96 Chevy Cavalier

03-03-05, 01:37 PM   #5  
Posted By: car nut Thank you General Motors---what a GREAT design!
Actually it is because unless you have a leak it shouldn't be a big deal.You have to get under the car to change the fluid and the method used prevents overfilling the transmission.If you have a leak it needs fixed anyhow so it is a good design.

SD

03-04-05, 07:38 AM   #6  
Posted By: davo Actually it is because unless you have a leak it shouldn't be a big deal.You have to get under the car to change the fluid and the method used prevents overfilling the transmission.If you have a leak it needs fixed anyhow so it is a good design.

Ya it is a good design.

Search this Thread