Neon sputtering and backfiring

Old 03-01-05, 06:15 PM
droog
Visiting Guest
Neon sputtering and backfiring

I have a 1995 Dodge Neon that I've used as a commuter car for years. It has about 150,000 miles on it and a standard 5 speed transmission. I change the oil regularly, and until recently it ran great. The trouble started a couple of months ago. When ever there was a REALLY heavy rain, it would sputter, stall and backfire until the engine was fully warmed up. Then it would run fine. In the last few days, the same things are starting to happen when it's dry and even after the engine is hot.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? My car skills are very limited, but I was thinking maybe a clogged fuel filter or something. Is that possible, or am I completely clueless? It's always been a very reliable car and I'd like to keep it, but I also don't want to put a ton of money in a ten year old car with 150,000 miles on it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-05, 07:10 PM
any trouble codes or check engine light on?

Old 03-02-05, 01:02 AM
DKM
I would suspect the Ignition Spark Plug Wires. I did 10 years in a Dodge dealership and own a neon. 9 out of 10 times the fault of the symptom you describe is the plug wires causing mutiple misfire's. Your neon's plug wires are very easy to replace. Probably the easiest of any vehicle ever built. If they haven't been replaced in 5 years or 60,000 miles I would replace them and go from there. Hope this helps.

David

Old 03-02-05, 04:34 AM
droog
Visiting Guest
To answer the first question: the check engine light seems to go on and off at random times.

David: Thanks for the advice, I'll replace the wires and see if it does the trick. If it turns out to be that simple, I'll be very happy.

Thanks for the help.