Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 pathfinder

Visiting Guest

03-02-05, 07:04 AM   #1  
mikepath
91 pathfinder

Need help on fuses blowing,fuel pump fuse

Sponsored Links

NC

03-02-05, 04:12 PM   #2  
Describe when it happens. When starting or driving?

Visiting Guest

03-03-05, 03:27 AM   #3  
mikepath
91 pathfinder

all other fuses seem fine,I put a new one in fuel pump fuse,when I turn the key to start,I think? If I just turn it to power its ok.If I wire across the fuse it will start & run,but you can smell the fuse box getting hot.I only did it for a few seconds.

NC

03-03-05, 08:35 PM   #4  
I can't find a wiring diagram but here are some things to try, to isolate the problem.

Swap or replace the fuel pump relay, if the vehicle has a standard relay instead of a module.

Disconnect the fuel pump and see if the fuse still blows.

Check to see if anything else is on the same circuit as the fuel pump which could be blowing the fuse. Look in the owner's manual or a chiltons manual at the fuse diagram for this if its not somewhere on the fuse box cover.

Disconnect the fuel pump and connect it directly to the battery, using a fused wire on the 12V side. The fuse should be the same amp. fuse as the one that's blowing. The wire should be the same or lower gauge as the stock wire. It would be best to install a switch on this. If the fuse blows, the fuel pump is the cause.

Search this Thread