94 grand am gt won't start

Old 03-22-05, 08:06 PM
hassan
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 94 grand am gt won't start

my grand am won't turn over or anything when i turn the key nothing happens.need help fast.

Old 03-22-05, 08:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check battery voltage, should be around 12 volts.

Most common cause of engine not turning over is weak/dead batterys.
If your battery is 3 years old, then be wary it's time is near.

Old 03-23-05, 09:39 PM
hassan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Check battery voltage, should be around 12 volts.

Most common cause of engine not turning over is weak/dead batterys.
If your battery is 3 years old, then be wary it's time is near.
thanks for the reply. but it's not the battery,see i have full power but the engine won't make a sound.someone told me that my camshaft might be locked up.what do you think?

Old 03-23-05, 10:50 PM
Z
listen to see if there is any noise coming from the starter when you turn the key (need 2 people) like it is trying to turn,

Old 03-25-05, 02:55 PM
Hassen,

If your suggesting that you battery is at full voltage, 12 volts and your engine is locked up for mechanical reasons, then you would be able to tell us the results of your battery test. It's quite a leap from weak battery to 'froze engine' without knowing the exact battery test results.

Many things are far more likely, like a bad battery cable, bad starter, etc. No reason to suspect internal parts without history and clear symptoms.

Old 03-25-05, 04:59 PM
hassan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Hassen,

If your suggesting that you battery is at full voltage, 12 volts and your engine is locked up for mechanical reasons, then you would be able to tell us the results of your battery test. It's quite a leap from weak battery to 'froze engine' without knowing the exact battery test results.

Many things are far more likely, like a bad battery cable, bad starter, etc. No reason to suspect internal parts without history and clear symptoms.
I was driving the car when it suddenly stopped.the battery was only about 4months old. one of my neighbors tried to turn the flywheel but couldn't so that's why i told you that i thought the engine was locked.

Old 03-25-05, 07:25 PM
Sounds like you answered your own question. Take a socket and ratchet and see if you can turn the flywheel forward or backward.
Good Luck,
Billy

Old 03-28-05, 12:48 PM
If your good neighbor took the time to crawl around under the hood and made the effort to turn the flywheel manually, and then reports back that it won't turn, then I certainly would not question his first hand knowledge.

If the flywheel is froze, then you may need an engine break down and rebuild to address the cause. If you asking what the cause is, then there is no way of knowing without dropping the oil pan or pulling the heads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: