96 lumina advice

Old 03-03-05, 01:19 PM
gramls
Visiting Guest
96 lumina advice

My lumina is not running right. between 40-60 mph the car jerks like the transmission is going out. i also am getting oil in my anti-freeze resovoir tank. if it is a cracked head or something would that affect both things? what would i be looking at to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-05, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Im not sure on your Lumina, but some G.M. cars have a transmission cooler in the radiator. Look at the back edges of your radiator. If you see two metal pipes coming out of one side or the other, you have such a cooler. If it breaks inside the radiator, tranny oil will mix with the coolant and coolant can get into the tranny. Could be looking at a rebuilt radiator and tranny, but let's see what others on this site suggest.

Old 03-03-05, 01:40 PM
Have you been using coolant?Is coolant in the engine oil?Have you checked the plugs,plug wires and coils for corrosion or carbon tracking?Is coolant in the transmission fluid?These are places to start checking and we can go from there.

Old 03-03-05, 04:25 PM
gramls
Visiting Guest

i have been losing coolant. all other fluids have been normal. i think the coolant might be mixing with the tranny fluid.

Old 03-04-05, 04:02 AM
You need to have a pressure test done but intake manifold gaskets are a strong possibility.Perform the other checks that I asked and I think you will find coolant in the engine oil.You can take a paper towel and put a couple of drops of clean engine oil on it and let it sit for 5 minutes.Then a couple inches away put a couple of drops of oil of of the engine oil dipstick and let it sit for 5 minutes.If coolant is in the oil you will see a coolant ring around the oil drops.