Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 cavlier rs 2.8v6, no spark

Visiting Guest

03-04-05, 05:58 PM   #1  
Negoshe8n
94 cavlier rs 2.8v6, no spark

My sisters car just puttered for a few and then died. She's doesn't have the money to do much with it so I'm trying to get her help. A friend ran a scan on the PCM and didn't find anything. Weather he did it right is another problem. Where should I start at?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-04-05, 08:39 PM   #2  
Nascar24Fan
i would remove the ignition module & have it tested. if you have an auto zone in your area, they can check it free of charge

Visiting Guest

03-04-05, 10:32 PM   #3  
Negoshe8n
That's at the base of the steering shaft?

Visiting Guest

03-05-05, 01:50 AM   #4  
diagnosticmonke
AIR>FUEL>IGNITION>TIMING

THERES 3 THINGS THAT MAKE AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE RUN PROPERLY : AIR, FUEL, AND IGNITION. AND ALL OF THESE MUST BE AT A CERTAIN TIME> TIMING. AIR IS USUALLY A CONSTANT HOWEVER VACUUM LEAKS, INTAKE LEAKS, AND A SQUIRREL LIVING IN THE AIR CLEANER ARE PROBLEMS THAT ARISE. FUEL> THE EASIEST WAY TO SEE IF YOU HAVE FUEL PRESSURE IS TO FIND THE FUEL RAIL BY THE PLENUM(THE TOP OF THE ENGINE) IT SHOULD HAVE A CAP ON IT WITH A SCRADER VALVE IN IT LIKE ON A VALVE STEM ON A TIRE.TURN KEY TO RUN POSITION AND DEPRESS THE VALVE WITH A SMALL PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER. WATCH YOUR EYES MAN, THAT GAS IN THE EYES BURNS BAD AND THE ER IS NEVER MUCH FUN. IF YOU GOT PRESSURE AND FUEL SHOOTS OUT GREAT. IF IT DRIBBLES OUT CHANCES ARE ITS THE FUEL PUMP INSIDE THE TANK AND OR PLUGGED FUEL FILTER. ALWAYS INSTALL A NEW FILTER WITH A NEW PUMP. THE EASIEST WAY TO CHECK FOR SPARK IS TO REMOVE A SPARK PLUG WIRE , INSERT A LONG HANDLED SCREWDRIVER INTO THE SPARK PLUG CAP, BLADE END OF SCREWDRIVER. HAVE SIS CRANK IT OVER WHILE YOU HOLD THE PLASTIC HANDLE AND HOLD THE METAL OF THE SCREWDRIVER ABOUT 1/4" away from a good ground. YOU SHOULD SEE A SPARK JUMPING AS SHE SPINS THE ENGINE OVER. II TRY TO LOCATE AN ENGINE BOLT THATS NOT RUBBER MOUNTED. DONT MAKE YOURSELF THE GROUND BY LEANING ON THE CAR OR TOUCHING THE METAL SURFACES. 60,000 VOLTS IS A STRANGE TINGLE AND CAN TAKE THE WIND OUT OF YOUR SAILS. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH. I WONT GET INTO TIMING AS OF YET> HOPE YA FIND IT.

Group Moderator

FL

03-05-05, 05:47 AM   #5  
Hey, monke; STOP SHOUTING.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Visiting Guest

03-05-05, 08:53 PM   #6  
Negoshe8n
OK, I'm going to the junk yard. What would make it have no spark? I can get most, if not all the parts free, so gimmie a list. I location would help too. Thanks for any help.

Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 02:11 PM   #7  
Negoshe8n
Didn't get to the junk yard today. I got to look at the car today. No spark. Put a new spark module on it that sits behind the coils. Still no spark. The fuel pump comes on and pressures up. I had it run for about a second then it dies. Did that twice. Any ideas about no having a spark? Should I change the ignition switch?

03-06-05, 08:30 PM   #8  
the crank sensor can cause no spark, should check the fuses first though if you havent already.

Search this Thread