Chevy Cavalier 2003

Old 03-05-05, 05:11 AM
Red face Chevy Cavalier 2003

As I approach a stop sign and apply brakes it feels as if my ABS is trying to activate. (Dry road) This symtom just started. Last month the car passed state inspection so I don't suppose it is a major brake problem. What do you think it is??

Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-05, 09:06 AM
I think you have a wheel speed sensor dropping out at low speed but you need a scan tool to figure out which one.There may or may not be a code stored so sensor data needs to be monitored.

Old 03-05-05, 11:32 AM
Yup, I just did one on a Venture van yesterday. Once the van slowed to 7 mph with my foot on the brake, the left front sensor would drop out and cause the ABS to kick in.

Old 03-05-05, 11:53 AM
Chevy Cavalier 2003

Thank you for the replies. I'm not an automotive technician so I do my best to describe the problem. The car comes to somewhat of a "choppy" stop instead of smooth stop. Do you still think it's an ABS problem? Also, does this sort of thing just happen without a warning? It passed state inspection less than a month ago.

Frank

Old 03-05-05, 12:15 PM
Yes, this will just happen with no warning. Do as Davo suggested and have a technician road test your vehicle with a scan tool to monitor wheel speed data as vehicle is brought to a stop. That data will indicate which sensor is faulty.

Do you feel a brief flutter in the brake pedal before the car is stopped?

Old 03-06-05, 06:10 AM
Chevy Cavalier 2003

Yes, that is exactly what happens. A brief flutter occurs in the brake pedal before the car stops. I plan to take it to our Chevy Dealer next week. The car is only 2 years old. I hope the repair willbe covered under our extended warranty.