Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

noise in the front end

FL

03-05-05, 01:57 PM   #1  
noise in the front end

Hi, everyone.1990 Cougar, auto, V6, 3,8L. The problem is that when I accelerate up the hill or sometimes on the flat road going from stop I can hear and feel some sort of rattling in the front end. If I letup on gas it stops end will not come back if I take it easy on the gas pedal, but if I step a little harder it's there again. As it does it I have substantial power loss, another words when it makes noise it would't accelerate very good. I thought it might have something to do with tranny, so the guy from tranny shop took it for a test drive but I don't think he got it to do the rattling. In any case they thought that tranny is OK and told me that my cats are bad. I changed the cats which reclaimed some overall power back to the engine but the noise is still there (has been for a long time ). After the job was done I noticed that car uses up alot more gas than it used to, but I was told that it'll be using less. Does it make any sence to anyone?
Second problem is that my brake lights are coming on when I hit the brakes (both brake+ABS lights). Not always at the same time and not every time but often enough to worry me. Also when the car stops steering wheel moves from side to side in a rapid motion, fills almost like vibration. I don't feel it when I drive, only when it's stopping. Recently inner tie rods were replaced due to excessive play of one of them, tires are brand new and alignment was done.
Thanks, appreciate your help. Irina

Sponsored Links

03-05-05, 02:43 PM   #2  
Could the RATTLE noise be a PINGING noise? If both BRAKE LIGHTS are on Check the Brake fluid Level. But it sounds like the Front brake rotors are warped an need to be turned. Which would be a front brake job.

FL

03-05-05, 02:59 PM   #3  
I dont know . The noise is hard to describe. It consistent and doesn't change. What could it be?
Brake fluid is full. Shop that that turned my rear rotors and changed rear pads told me that there was a small leak in one of the calipers but they felt that it 'll stop. Front pads are fine and rotors( or disks ??) look good but they are a few years old. I'm pretty much babying the car (over 163.000 miles on it)

03-05-05, 03:13 PM   #4  
If you are losing brake fluid than fix what is leaking first! But the front brake rotors needed to be turned if you feel the vibration in the steering wheel. If the noise is a PING than I would check the EEC system for codes. Some more INFO I would not use that SHOP AGAIN. Brake Leaks can be DANGEROUS!!!!

FL

03-05-05, 06:02 PM   #5  
Thanks for your reply. I'm not really losing brake fluid (at least it seem to stay at the same level) and they didn't service my calipers. Guess,he's just trying to save me some $$.

Search this Thread