1994 chev astro van

Old 03-06-05, 11:02 AM
AlRudkin
Visiting Guest
1994 chev astro van

need help !! have a 1994 chev astro van 4.3 hard to start when cold. it takes several trys before it will start like it is not getting enough gas. thank you.i have replaced the fule injectors.map valve. i have ck the fule pressure it is 55 lbs.

Last edited by AlRudkin; 03-06-05 at 05:39 PM. Reason: adding all the things that i have done so far
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 12:12 PM
Does the car crank normally? if it turns very slowly it could be a dying battery (they tend to get worse in the cold). If this is the case get hold of a multimeter and measure the battery voltage with the engine switched off. A well charged battery should be showing between 12V-13V.

If cranking is normal, fuel starvation is the next possibility. Things you can try are cleaning the carb or the throttle body. You can buy some carb/TB cleaner, spray the parts and clean off. Check of any deposits. Can you get it to start more easily with the gas pedal pushed down. If so the idle air passage in the TB may be plugged up. It could also be a clogged fuel filter or fuel line. You can get cleaners that you can dump in your gas tank which may help.

Old 03-06-05, 03:28 PM
2 major problems with the 4.3, fuel pump and CPI assembly. Turn the car to "on" do not start, in the rear of the intake on the drivers side is a fuel fitting, check for fuel pressure there, should be around 60 pounds +/- 2 pounds. If all is ok there, more than likley it is inside the intake, either a bad fuel pressure regulator or "nut kit" which is the fuel lines that feed the CPI assembly. The way to check whick one of those it is, is, to remove the intake and see which side looks "clean" if it is the passengers side it is the fuel pressure regulator, if it is the drivers side it is the "nut kit". GM says that the whole assembly has to be replaced if it is the passengers side, that is bunk, you can purchase and replace just the FPR, either go to NAPA or check on e-Bay, about 40 bux. About 300 bux for the whole assembly. If you do find it is the FPR, go ahead and replace the "nut kit" as it will go bad sooner or later and you might as well replace it while you are in there.

Old 03-06-05, 05:44 PM
AlRudkin
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Cabot
2 major problems with the 4.3, fuel pump and CPI assembly. Turn the car to "on" do not start, in the rear of the intake on the drivers side is a fuel fitting, check for fuel pressure there, should be around 60 pounds +/- 2 pounds. If all is ok there, more than likley it is inside the intake, either a bad fuel pressure regulator or "nut kit" which is the fuel lines that feed the CPI assembly. The way to check whick one of those it is, is, to remove the intake and see which side looks "clean" if it is the passengers side it is the fuel pressure regulator, if it is the drivers side it is the "nut kit". GM says that the whole assembly has to be replaced if it is the passengers side, that is bunk, you can purchase and replace just the FPR, either go to NAPA or check on e-Bay, about 40 bux. About 300 bux for the whole assembly. If you do find it is the FPR, go ahead and replace the "nut kit" as it will go bad sooner or later and you might as well replace it while you are in there.
hello ,thank you for the info. have replaced fule injectors.when i try to start the car i have to turn car on several times like the gas is not there. after i get it started the first time it will start the rest of the day till i let it set over night.