Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 Probe timing belt

Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 12:00 PM   #1  
lorraine03
94 Probe timing belt

Have a 94 probe 4 clynder have the tdc position, have the dots right across from each other on the cams, but the distributor is not on the #1 plug, its 180 degress off. How do I tell if I am on exhaust or compression stroke, how do I get the dist. plug to 1. with all the other things staying where they are

Thanks

Sponsored Links

03-06-05, 12:55 PM   #2  
If you have the valve cover off check the rocker arms. The valves for #1 will all be loose if it is on TDC compression. If you are at TDC exhaust the exhaust valve will be open.

Visiting Guest

03-07-05, 07:52 PM   #3  
lorraine03
timing belt

Okay this may be a little long but this is my problem. Needed to replace water pump on my 4 cyl. 1994 Probe. After replacing the water pump put the crankshaft back its at TDC. The Camshafts are lined up with the slashes across from each other the distributor is not directly on #1 plug but very close. Tried to start the car and it doesn't sound like its getting any spark and just turns over. What could be my problem, or something that I may have overlooked or things I need to recheck to make sure it's properly done. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

03-08-05, 04:40 AM   #4  
its probably not in time, has the distributer been removed for any reason if it has not been removed dont worry about its position as it should be ok as it is ran off the cam once you get the cam in time it will likely start up ok double check your timing marks as per the manual if you dont have a manual look in the repair info on autozones website for your vehicle engine and it shows a diagram of how the timing marks are post to line up along with directions and make sure it is dead on.
after double checking the timing marks if it is ok you should check for spark at a plug, do a compression test, fuel pressure and injector pulse to see what is miising causing the engine not to start.

Visiting Guest

03-09-05, 01:18 AM   #5  
vcpitbull
timing

afther you put the water pump on you said you moved the bottom crank and put it on TDC it,s not in timing anymore. to time it the bottom crank has a dot or a mark on it. that dot needs to be lined up with the mark on the water
pump.you had the camshaft time right. when you put the crankshaft mark straight in line with the water pump mark you should take out number #1 spark plug and the piston should be up. if not your 180 off turn the crankshaft
again and line it up again.then put the belt on.

vcpitbull

Visiting Guest

03-13-05, 01:40 PM   #6  
lorraine03
Compression Check

Ok, we got everything lined up and checked a compression check and I have no compression on any of them. What do I do next. I'm getting spark.

Thanks Lorraine

Visiting Guest

03-13-05, 04:42 PM   #7  
lewashi
rotate 180 degrees and try again....if you don't want to take it all apart (and this drives most mechanics crazy & only works on a veh WITH a distributor) invert your plugs wires on the cap. Find the #1 wire, swap it to the post directly across from it (180 degrees). If the engine starts then it confirms the timing is off 180. Then you can put the wires back the way they were and rotate the crank 180 and put it back together.

03-13-05, 08:07 PM   #8  
if you have no compression there is only 2 possibile causes either the timing belt is still not installed correctly are your have bent valves wich will require head removal for further inspection.
also would ignore posts with the term 180 in them as this will just confuse you and anyone else reading them.
if it is an interference engine there is a good chance of valves being bent a cylinder leakdown test may help determine that once you are certain the belt is in time.

Visiting Guest

03-13-05, 08:20 PM   #9  
lewashi
LMAO...and if the timing belt was simply removed to replace the water pump then whether or not it is an interference engine is a moot point...thus no need to worry about bent valves (per prior posting). Given this scenario, with no compression the timing is probably off 90 or 270 degrees. If the degrees are confusing, you probably need someone who understands the jargon set up the initial timing.

Non-US

03-13-05, 08:30 PM   #10  
http://www.napaprolink.ca/NapaDataSe...onID=553226794
If this link works, it shows the proper timing alignment for a 1994 2.0l probe. This is NOT an interferance engine so you did not bend any valves. Take the covers off & have a good look inside. With the cams timed corectly, look at the dist drive gear. It will have a small "v" in it near the dist body. Line it up with the small "v" on the dist & install the dist into the head. This will time the dist to the cam. If the timing marks line up as shown, & dist installed as suggested, It will run!!

03-13-05, 10:32 PM   #11  
well your link works if you select year, make, and model and timing belt and it specifically says caution interference engine, do not rotate cam and crankshaft with timing belt removed or engine damage may occur.
hopefully it hasnt bent any valves and is just out of time.

Non-US

03-14-05, 08:32 PM   #12  
I worked for Mazda from 1993 to 1995 & they never built an interferance engine. I also worked for Ford from 1982-93 & again from 95-present. The Probe & MX6 & 626 are all the same driveline & you will not bend a valve. I think people were told this to scare them into the 96000 km timing belt replacement He won't have bent valves

Visiting Guest

03-16-05, 09:03 AM   #13  
lorraine03
link didn't work for me

Posted By: hopkinsr2 http://www.napaprolink.ca/NapaDataSe...onID=553226794
If this link works, it shows the proper timing alignment for a 1994 2.0l probe. This is NOT an interferance engine so you did not bend any valves. Take the covers off & have a good look inside. With the cams timed corectly, look at the dist drive gear. It will have a small "v" in it near the dist body. Line it up with the small "v" on the dist & install the dist into the head. This will time the dist to the cam. If the timing marks line up as shown, & dist installed as suggested, It will run!!
Sorry, don't know how the other got the link to work but I couldn't. Any other way to get to the site? Thanks

Search this Thread