Acura Legend/Sterling won't start

Old 03-10-05, 12:42 PM
jacho
Visiting Guest
Acura Legend/Sterling won't start

Hello there. I have a 1987 Sterling, which is mostly just a Rover body on an Acura Legend. My engine turns over but will not start. I am getting spark to the distributor, since I can unplug the coil wire at the distributor and see spark when the engine turns over. When I pull a plug and wire, there is no spark to the plug. I am getting fuel and can smell gas on the plugs when I pull them. I have replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and plugs. I also replaced the distributor with a used replacement since I could not afford a new one, but I don't have any guarantee that the used one is perfect. Anyone have some Honda/Acura/Sterling advice for me to check next? Thanks much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 07:09 PM
If you have spark to the dist & not to the spark plugs & you have changed the plugs & dist & rotor & cap', the only thing left is plug wires. Please verify the spark @ the dist with an air gap tester as I'm douting 6 bad plug wires. Maybe only a coil wire failing under load Recheck the spark at the plugs with an air gap tester as well

Old 03-14-05, 07:55 PM
jacho
Visiting Guest
Wires Changed

Thanks much for the advice. I figured this car was due for new wires anyway after so many miles of service, so I replaced all of the plug wires and the coil wire with brand new replacements. Same results. Engine turns over, everything sounds fine. Now I am seeing a nice spark when I pull a plug wire and leave the plug in the socket. Spark at the coil, spark at the distributor that gets past the rotor to the plug, gas in the chamber, I am missing something. Thanks for any assistance.

Old 03-14-05, 08:18 PM
Spark at the right time, fuel & compression are all you need. Did you do a compression test or try a timing light on it to quick check in case a timing belt jumped. Did it quit while driving, or just not start one day?? Can you check fuel pressure & leak-down & re-post? You said you changed the dist, Is the timing on it correct?? Let us know & we'll help get ya going

Old 03-17-05, 07:37 PM
jameskane
Visiting Guest
reset ECM??

Hey...I own an 88 legend. This sounds like it may be a timing issue if you have spark and gas. The acuras of that era should be computer controlled timing, and your ECM may be out of whack, or out of commission.

Try pulling the ECM fuse for about 10 minutes, or the battery cable for just as long, and then give it a shot. Sounds stupid, but computers are known to do stupid things and get hung up. This may reset it.

Good luck!

Old 03-22-05, 09:48 AM
jacho
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice so far. I bought a timing light and compression tester.
If the weather cooperates I will be able to get out in my driveway soon and test to see if the advice from Hopkinsr2 sheds any light on my dilemna. When I replaced the distributor I brought the #1 cylinder to TDC and I am pretty confident that the new one is exactly in there, so I don't believe I messed up the timing. I guess if I could get it running I would be positive. It did not quit while I was driving. I went out to start it one morning and it just would not start.
Jameskane's posting is also welcome. I have had the battery disconnected for long periods of time, so I don't think my ECM is going to reset. I am a little out of my element with all of the computers, and I am not even clear on what an igniter does. So I may have to give up and throw in the towel if I can't figure out something with my new test equipment when the weather clears. Cheers!

Old 04-29-05, 02:28 PM
jacho
Visiting Guest
Solution!

Well shucks. The answers was to remove the plugs and give the cylinders plenty of time to dry out. 36 hours worked this time. The mechanic injected little oil in each cylinder to free up any gum and gunk. He also replaced my band new Bosch plugs with NGK plugs, because they have found problems with the Bosch ones before. Now it starts right up and I am back on the road. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me out on this!