Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ball Joints for 96 2wd Expedition

03-10-05, 06:02 PM   #1  
Ball Joints for 96 2wd Expedition

The Front End Alignment Fellow at the Firestone store said that the lower ball joint on the right side should be replaced before the car was aligned. I plan to replace all 4 plus tie rod ends. 100,000+ miles on Expedition. Do the work my self.

Good judgement? Any suggestions or helpful hints. I need to go buy a pickle fork. Is there any thing that I need to be aware of before I buy it?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links

03-10-05, 06:48 PM   #2  
We try not to use pickle forks because they tear the boots, just hit the spindle with a hammer were the tie rod goes through. This may take several blows but should come loose.

03-10-05, 08:03 PM   #3  
Pickle forks are fast & easy if you are replacing the part. But if you need to separate the joint for some other reason and then put it back together use the method hogfan described. Sometimes they are hard to get apart this way though.

If the ball joints press in you will need a tool for that. Some auto parts stores like Auto Zone will loan you the tools for free if you buy the parts there.

Visiting Guest

03-10-05, 09:44 PM   #4  
vcpitbull
when taking off tie rods make sure you count the turn taking it off and when you put the new tie rod on you turn it the same number of turns as you took it off.some ball joint are not easy taking off even if you got the tool some times you have to put a little heat to them. some times you can hammer them out.(good luck)

vcpitbull

Visiting Guest

03-10-05, 10:07 PM   #5  
okcdane
96 Expedition

Not meaning to sound rude or ignorant,are you sure about the vehicle your working on? because the expedition was'nt introduced until 1997.. Forgive me if im mistaken... but i like to be sure of the beast before i hunt it know what i mean??

03-11-05, 12:01 AM   #6  
STOP!!! Do NOT use heat on front end parts....this can change the molecular structure making them unsafe.

Visiting Guest

03-11-05, 02:40 AM   #7  
vcpitbull
I said a little heat not alot of heat. i,m a old school mechanic and if ball joints tools don,t take it off because it,s seized and you don,t have the money to replace a lower or the upper arm then you have to find other way to fix it.i work on new and old and some tools they make will not do the job at all.

03-11-05, 06:39 AM   #8  
Mistake it is a 98 Expedition.

I also have a 96 Suburban. Got confused.

Search this Thread