87 4Runner - strange idling problem...

Old 03-11-05, 03:49 PM
87 4Runner - strange idling problem...

87 4Runner 22RE / 5Speed / 4WD / EFI / NOT turbo

Engine running smoothly except when I engage the brake, then it sounds like it wants to stall out every few seconds then recover. It will continue this as long as I press the brake pedal and will stop if I let it up. Doesn't matter if clutch is depressed or not or if vehicle is stopped or rolling.

Ideas anyone???

Last edited by scrollmaster; 03-13-05 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-05, 04:15 PM
Idle speed to high or TPS not adjusted properly to see idle.

Old 03-11-05, 05:56 PM
might check for vacum leaks such as a leaking brake booster although you can usually hear a vacum leak when you press the brake if that was the problem.

Old 03-11-05, 10:02 PM
It's going into fuel cut, it seeís the idle speed is too high and the computer is getting the brake light signal.

The computer determines high idle, brakes applied = decelerating so no fuel needed. Once the idle lowers right before the point it stalls injection resumes. That results in the on/off or up/down idle or sensation like itís going to stall.

This particular scenario will only happen on a stick

Old 03-12-05, 06:27 PM
I just talked to my son and he mentioned something that has me thinking. He says the stopping power of the brakes have diminished somewhat. He checked the fluids and they are good. What if the diaphram of the brake booster has a small leak... could that cause this stalling out problem? He will have the 4Runner here tomorrow morning and I'll check the booster then to see if it appears to be pulling a strong vacuum.

I will separate the vacuum line from the brake booster and plug it off and see if pressing the brake makes the engine stall. If it does not stall would that be another indication the booster is faulty???

Old 03-13-05, 09:18 AM
Problem Fixed... THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Appears toyotaman nailed it on the head. When my son arrived we cranked the vehicle and stall was present when brake applied. He doesn't have a tachometer but was evident his idle speed was VERY high. We idled it down till sounded about right and problem disappeared.

I did check the brake booster bejay mentioned while it was here and it is functioning fine. I think the diminished brake capacity was just the high engine idle speed. Sorta like braking with the accelerator down a bit.

Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread