94 Taurus tranny replacement?

Old 03-15-05, 05:55 AM
94 Taurus tranny replacement?

Greetings everyone. I have always been a pretty good shade tree mechanic. Tune ups, changing out hard parts, starters, brakes, belts, timing belts, alternators, valve jobs, cv joints etc. Now here is my challenge. This 94 taurus, 3.0, automatic, is really a very good car still. 140,000 and strong. All mechanicals working well except the tranny has died. (it's dead). The estimates are quite high when I call around for the work to be done. Can I put this car up on jacks and blocks and do this in my driveway if I get a replacement tranny? THANKS!
-Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-05, 12:46 PM
this is a job that you probably dont want to do in your driveway as it requires the whole subframe to be lowered out of the vehicle while the engine is supported in the vehicle.
if you want to get an idea of what is required autozones web site has removal and install info for transaxle if you wish to look it up.

Old 03-15-05, 03:19 PM
Bejay...I checked it out....I'm not doing it.

thanks for the autozone info....will be very helpful for other repairs.

-Bob

Old 03-15-05, 07:14 PM
bob53

I have a '94 Taurus 3.0l w/ 155K +.

What other kind of work have you had to do?

Watch the EGR passage in the intake. Mine slowly got blocked and I got a lot of kocking long before the check engine light came on indicateing no or low egr.

Also be aware that you can loose your upper radiator hose and the gauge in the dash will never read hot.