ac noise

Old 03-16-05, 04:51 PM
ac noise

I have a 96 cutlass and when you turn the ac on, noise comes from the car and it seems to vibrate. When you turn it off, it stops after a couple of minutes. It still blows cold air, but the noise and vibration is horrible. Do you think it is the fan motors or could it be the pulleys? I dont have a clue about cars, but I did open the hood and it seems once the fan stops is when the noise stops. Without the ac on the car runs smooth. ANy help you could give would be great!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-05, 10:20 PM
ac

it could be the ac compresser going. If it is just dont use it and hope that the clutch doesn't give out. the compressor acts as a idler pully when the ac is not engaged. if it doesnt make any noise then, it should be ok.

Does it also make the noise when you have the heat on?

I would take it on a drive for a while to get engine temp up, then pull it in your driveway, leave it on and pop the hood and see if the fan is on. if it is and its not making the noise, just dont use the ac, If the fan doesnt come on and the engine temp starts getting to high then you know is a problem with the fan or elecrical involvint the fan and should be taken care of immediately because you could overheat and cause engine damage.

Old 03-17-05, 07:32 AM
I agree with ZZZZ.

Loric, you said,
"...it seems once the fan stops is when the noise stops."
Typically the electric engine cooling fan is designed to turn on whenever the ac is turned on. This could explain why the noise occurs when it does. If so, you should also hear this noise when the engine is hot, fan is running, ac is off. That would help isolate the source, i.e. fan verses compressor.

Meanwhile, with engine cold, key off, fan not spinning; carefully spin the fan blade by hand and listen for the noise. Also visually inspect that the fan blade has good clearance from the fan shroud and any other objects. Keep in mind that noise may occur only when the fan is running, thus pulling a loose wire or loose/broken shroud into the path of the blade due to the high speed air flow produced by the fan.

Old 03-17-05, 11:47 AM
It does not happen when the heat is on.

I think I would much rather have it be the fan instead of the compressor I live in South Florida and a car without AC is going to be unbearable.

Would the compressor still allow it to blow cold air?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-17-05, 12:37 PM
Just turning on the heater is irrelevent. But if you mean, you don't hear the noise when the engine is hot and the radiator fan is definately running, then it can only be the compressor that is makeing the noise.

It's best to visually see if the fan is not running when you hear the noise, as mentioned above.

Old 03-17-05, 05:14 PM
You may want to inspect the rubber mounts for the cooling fan on the bottom of the radiator support. I have a 93 Grand Prix, which is pretty much the same car as yours and had a similar problem. With the AC on, it would vibrate pretty good. Inspection was done and I found the lower rubber mounts on 1 fan were gone. I rigged up some mounts and it took care of the vibration. As far as the compressor goes, usually when they make noise, it is that of too tight of a clearance between the ac clutch and the hub. In the worst case of it causing that much of a vibration, its more than likely that the ac compressor has internal damage, which would damage the compressor clutch seal and allow the refrigerant to escape the system. Then the ac would not blow cold at all. There are 2 fans on your car, turn the ac on and when the noise occurs put your hand on the frame of the fan to see if you can feel the vibration. If the lower rubber mounts are not missing, you probably need a new fan. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Old 04-03-05, 05:26 PM
Sure enough.....it was the motor mount! Thanks for all your help, guys