Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rocker arm replaced

Visiting Guest

03-17-05, 07:43 AM   #1  
gluck2
rocker arm replaced

I have a 1996 Buick Century V6 with 56,047 miles. It has been maintained, oil changed every 3000 mi, etc. The car ran great until 189 miles ago.
The first time it happened, the service engine light started flashing. It started making a tapping noise. I immediately shut off the engine and called AAA. They towed it to a mechanic. Pulled valve covers, replaced rocker arm -pivot and stud. (the stud was broken off on the intake side.)
Car ran fine, no oil use, no noise or anything. At 102 miles, it started doing the same thing. Sent it back to mechanic and another stud was broken, another one on the intake side. (the same head) They replced the rocker arm-pivot and stud on the intake and push rod. Drove the car, ran great. no oil use, went 86 miles, service engine light started flashing. sent it back to mechanic. This time it was on the opposite head but still on intake. Mechanics do not know what is making this happen. Please help.
Thanks,
Gary

Sponsored Links

03-17-05, 02:58 PM   #2  
What is the repair history of the car?

Visiting Guest

03-17-05, 03:40 PM   #3  
gluck2
the only repair that has had to be done is a coolant fan motor on at about 22,000 miles.and also a fan for the heater around 39,000 miles. Oil, transmission, etc has always been kept up. It never smoked or used oil or anything.
Thank You,
Gary

03-17-05, 06:01 PM   #4  
If the new ones are doing ok I would be thinking about just replacing all the rest of them. The labor & inconvenience of doing them 1 at a time would be a real pain.

Do any of the old ones look like they have been hot? Years ago on a 454 chevy I found some discolored rocker arms. They were not getting oil. I finally (after a lot of head scratching) found that some of the rocker arms had been drilled at the wrong angle from the factory. They would not align with the hole in the push rod as they pivoted, thus they could not get any oil. I replaced all the bad ones & all was well.

I'm not sure how the rocker arms receive oil on that engine. I have seen rocker arms that would not oil due to varnish build up. The oil holes would slowly plug up.

Visiting Guest

03-24-05, 10:23 PM   #5  
gluck2
Help

Can any one held me with the 1996 buick ? Car Nut no they have not been hot,

so said the Mechanics.

03-25-05, 02:47 PM   #6  
We see alot of 3.1L's come in for this type of noise (Buick dealer) and never once put a set of rocker arms on. We have, however, been replacing lifters in quite a few 3.1's and 3.4's for this type of noise.

03-25-05, 02:47 PM   #7  
Since you have broken 3 with no aparent cause I can only guess you may have defective parts. This is why I suggested you consider replacing all the rest. You may never have a problem with the rest but then again you may not. If the car is back together now I suggest you just drive it but if it happens again I would be replacing the remainder of them if it were my car. However if the new ones have broken I don't have an answer.

Visiting Guest

03-25-05, 10:22 PM   #8  
gluck2
The Mechanic said that if it was his car he would replace the computer because the stud were always broken off on the INTAKE side each time. He said that it had to be in the firing order. I have already spend almost $600 dollars. Car Nut no the car is NOT back together now. It ran great for 55,858 miles but the last 189 mile it has broke down three time each time the stud on the intake side has broken off.

03-26-05, 11:59 AM   #9  
I don't see how rocker studs could break due to the computer (ECM) causing the plugs to fire at the wrong time. If this were happening you should have noticed the car missing, backfiring through the intake, or running poorly.

Maybe some of the experts here can shed some light on that theory for you.

Search this Thread