Water in driver side floor

Old 03-18-05, 04:44 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Water in driver side floor

After raining, I have water in the floor on the driver's side. The truck is a 1995 Dodge Dakota. The floor mat isn't wet, it's the carpet and pad below the mat. I've wet the truck down with a hose and can not find the leak. I've also removed the kick panel and strip along the bottom and looked under the carpet to see if I can see streaks to give me a hint. I didn't find anything. Also, the firewall insulation appears to be dry.

I next checked the weatherstrip around the door. There is a tear (about 1/2 inch) on the sloping area about 6 - 8 inches from the top of the door. This weatherstrip is the one that's about 3/4 inches in diameter. The somewhat flat and solid one looks fine. I also noticed a few holes in the one that's torn. They appear to be factory made. Could that tear have something to do with the leak?

Any place to get a new one other than a dealer? I've searched the net without success. Also, is it a matter of pulling out the old one and working a new one into a groove? Or is it glued in place? Any hints on best way to change? Any special tools involved?

Thanks

Old 03-18-05, 05:52 AM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Hello, I have/ had the same problem on my 1993 Trans-am. I think I found the problem though! I haven't had a wet floor since! Probably not the same as your problem but, I found what looked like a hole in the floor pan from what at one time looked like a bolt/screw hole? I found a bolt that would fit snug in the hole . Put a flat washer on it and some epoxy and so far so good!

Old 03-22-05, 04:34 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you do need to change some weather stripping, JcWhitney sells the stuff custom for your application

Old 03-22-05, 05:14 PM
H
Thanks Power 453.

How hard is it to install? Does it press in place? Are tools required?

Old 03-22-05, 05:15 PM
Some auto parts stores sell generic door and window seals. I suggest you go to the store, examine what types and styles they carry, then form an idea of how to install it after seeing the products in the store.

It is possible that you will not find an exact replacement, in which case you would then seek the dealer, or JC Whitney, etc.

Old 03-22-05, 05:32 PM
H
Thanks for all of the assistance. I'll try to change the weatherstrips and see if that solves the problem. Surely it won't cost much and just maybe it'll stop the leak before the carpet mildews or the floor rusts out.

I just bought the truck 2 months ago and I'm still finding problems.

Old 03-23-05, 06:08 AM
H
I ordered the replacement weatherstrip from JC Whitney last night. I could only find 1 of them. There is a U shaped rubber channel above the weatherstrip. I could not find this online. Perhaps I can get that locally.

It appears that I will have to remove the plastic trim around the door inside the truck to change this weatherstrip. I'm not sure how to remove the top piece at the headliner. There aren't any screws. Any ideas?

Old 03-23-05, 11:50 PM
DKM
Another possibility?

Just thought I'd add another possibilty you might want to check.

I have repaired a few water leaks as you discribe on Gen II Dakota's. The leak was the seem @ the Cowl panel where it meets the Firewall (Under the w/wiper area). The water leaked down the back of the Firewall and under the carpet/padding. The way I checked and found it was; Pull the carpet/padding away from the firewall, run a water hose over the roof, so the water runs down the windshield and look along the firewall (under the dash) for drips or trickels as the water is running. You may need to run the water over a few differant spots to check the entire area cause I've found the source of the leak to be on one side and come into the vehicle on the other. Just something you might want to check?

You can also use the same technique to check the weather stripping for leaks. I always verify the leak source before replacing parts.
David

Old 03-24-05, 05:43 AM
H
I'll have to check that also. If it is the seam, can I just caulk it? Is there a special material I should use?

Old 03-24-05, 03:15 PM
DKM
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr
I'll have to check that also. If it is the seam, can I just caulk it? Is there a special material I should use?
I use RTV Automotive Silcone sealant you can get at any auto parts place. Just be sure it's clean and dry and I wear nitril or latex gloves and work it into the seam(s) with my fingers. Hope this helps.

David

Old 04-02-05, 04:07 PM
H
I replaced the door gasket today. I'll see if that helps.

DKM,

Regarding the cowl seam, I assume the wipers come off and then there are about 6 screws under the hood holding the "cover" on under the windshield. Is it as simple to remove the cover as taking the wipers off and removing these screws?

Next question, how do you take the wiper arms off?

Old 04-04-05, 12:12 AM
DKM
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr
I replaced the door gasket today. I'll see if that helps.

DKM,

Regarding the cowl seam, I assume the wipers come off and then there are about 6 screws under the hood holding the "cover" on under the windshield. Is it as simple to remove the cover as taking the wipers off and removing these screws?

Next question, how do you take the wiper arms off?
hdtvluvr,

It's been a while (Years) since I did one. Could be 1 of 2 types of wiper arms. 1st (Easyest) Pull the wiper arm, Blade end, up a few inches and there will be a clip at the base of the arm that pivots out. Pull the clip out while holding the blade up and that will lock the blade in position. Then the arm should pull straight off. Other type has a bolt/srew under a cap that is in the head/base of the arm. On that type you need to pry the cap out with a small srewdriver or pick and there will be a bolt/srew under the cap. On that type the arm doen't always want to come off the the wiper transmission pivot. Sometimes they come off easy and others I've had cut the arm or use a small puller to get them off. If it doesnt come off easy try a little PB Blaster or other Penetrate fluid and tap on it a little, That may loosen it.

For the cowl panel you are correct about 6-8 srews. I also believe there are tabs on the windshield side (Could be on the other side or ends). Takeing the srews out should lossen at least one side, then you pull it out and up away from the tabs. It's a little tight in there to work but it can be done. Like I said before make sure its clean and dry before sealing the body seems. Sorry about any typeos, just finished a 10 hour work shift. Good luck and let me /us know how you make out.

David

Old 04-04-05, 04:47 AM
H
Well, I have the clip style. Does the clip come completely off?

It may be several days before I can attempt this fix (perhaps next weekend) since they are predicting rain for the next 3 days and I don't want to do this in the rain.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-04-05, 05:00 AM
the clips...

...are really stops that will keep the arms raised up off of the glass. lift the arm and then pivot the clip outward...it'll only move 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch...then let go of the arm and the blade should not contact the glass. now grab the arm on either side of where it goes on and rock fore and aft along it's length. it will wiggle up off of the post. leave the clip engaged like it is, then when remounting...push down on the arm all the way onto the post. slightly raise the arm to relieve pressure on the clip, pivot the clip back towards the arm and release the arm so that the blade now rests on the glass again.

Old 04-05-05, 02:39 AM
DKM
Clips

Thanx carguyinva. That is a much better explaination than mine.
David

Old 04-09-05, 09:48 AM
H
I was able to remove wipers, the metal cover, the plastic grill and found the seam. I cleaned it out the best I could (vacuum, toothbrush and followed with Simple Green on a rag). I let it dry and filled the seam with the automotive sealant.

Now it is supposed to rain again starting Monday. I hope I've got it fixed. I'll let you know if I have success.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: