Brake Drum

Old 03-18-05, 04:37 PM
Brake Drum

I am having trouble getting a rear brake drum off a hyn accent.Is there a adjustment/tension release on this model ( 98 2 door sport,no ABS)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-05, 06:42 PM
I dont know about that particular model but sometimes with cars you need to break out the hammer and possibly a torch. If it is really stuck you might need to heat it up and try banging it off with a hammer.

Old 03-19-05, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Look for threaded holes in the face of the drum. These are there to be used to "push" the drum off the hub. Locate a couple of bolts with the correct thread size/pitch and run them in with a wrench or socket. Alternate between the bolts so you apply force evenly. Also, a little penetrating oil or WD-40 around the hub will help. Some cars have small screws that have to be removed, too.

Old 03-19-05, 05:59 PM
If it won't budge at all, you'll have to do the liquid-penetrant-and-hammer thing as previously suggested.

If it's somewhat loose, but seems to be sprung back everytime you try to remove it, you'll have to access the mechanical adjuster inside the assembly through an access hole from the backing plate to retract the shoes. You'll need to find some type of illustration for your car to know how to do this.

Old 03-20-05, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Kestas
If it won't budge at all, you'll have to do the liquid-penetrant-and-hammer thing as previously suggested.

If it's somewhat loose, but seems to be sprung back everytime you try to remove it, you'll have to access the mechanical adjuster inside the assembly through an access hole from the backing plate to retract the shoes. You'll need to find some type of illustration for your car to know how to do this.
Look carefully at the center hole where the big hole in the drum goes over the hub as you try to tap the drum off by hitting it at the outside edge with a hammer. This is what Kestas is talking about. If it moves there and springs back then the shoes have worn into the drum surface and you will have to retract them like he said. If it does not move there then use penatrant and tow guy's advice. If there are screws remove them. Then if there are threaded holes do as tow guy said. If not penatrant and a hammer is about all you can do.

Tip: To prevent the drum from rusting to the hub---when ever you have a drum off take a grinding wheel on a drill and make a few passes around the inside of the hole until there is a little clearance between the hub and hole in the drum. If it is a snug fit rust will cause them to not want to come off at a later date. You can also put a little oil or grease there to help prevent rust. You will be glad if you ever have to take the drum off again and it will come right off.

Old 03-20-05, 04:47 PM
removal of brake drum

I managed to get the brake drum off, I just had to basically get tough with it and rip the thing off. At first I was trying to save the springs but everything was rusted anyway. As for the adjuster it was siezed and not located in behind the hole with the dust (rubber) plug anyway,so that was useless. I had the speciality tools but again they were not much use.

Old 03-21-05, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by car nut
Tip: To prevent the drum from rusting to the hub---when ever you have a drum off take a grinding wheel on a drill and make a few passes around the inside of the hole until there is a little clearance between the hub and hole in the drum. If it is a snug fit rust will cause them to not want to come off at a later date. You can also put a little oil or grease there to help prevent rust. You will be glad if you ever have to take the drum off again and it will come right off.
To clarify the above. You should not remove more material than just the rust build up. Just so the center hole is not a tight fit over the hub. A wire brush on your drill or some coarse sand paper may do the trick. If the build up is very heavy only use a fine grinding wheel and make very light even passes going 1 revolution around the hole at a time until the drum slips over the hub with out using force. A light coat of anti sieze if you have it or grease if you don't have anti sieze will help prevent the rust from building up in the future.

Thanks to Toyota Man for helping me clarify this post.

Old 03-21-05, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
T-Man had to slap you around a little, huh?

Old 03-22-05, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
T-Man had to slap you around a little, huh?
Oh well it wasn't the first time.
Maybe it will be my turn next time.