Replacing starter on 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton truck

Old 03-19-05, 07:36 AM
force95
Visiting Guest
Replacing starter on 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton truck

I need to replace the starter on my 1990 Chevrolet 1/2ton truck. (350 cu in)
This is the first starter I have replaced, so please bear with the novice questions.

Two items came with the starter a round metal rod and a tool of some sort.
What are these for?

Since the connections coming from the ignition and battery are at the top of the starter what is the best solution to disconnect this?

Any other pointers would be appreciated

Thanks Benny

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-05, 09:17 AM
Very easy to do. I don't know WTF the metal rod is though. This tool you speak of, are you sure it isn't a shim?
Disconnect the battery. If you cannot get to the nuts that attach the wires to your starter, then take the 2 starter bolts out to drop the starter low enough to do so. If there was a shim between the starter and the engine block, make sure you reinstall it with the new starter. Reverse the steps for installation.

You may have to remove the inspection cover from the bottom front of the transmission, under the torque convertor. It has been a while since I have replaced one on a truck.

Old 03-20-05, 08:27 AM
I haven't got a clue what that starter came with, a metal rod and a tool? clueless.
AS for getting to the connections, long extensions, swivel sockets, and lots of

Old 03-20-05, 08:43 AM
Is the metal rod make of brass and 2 inches long?. Perhaps an optional electrical external connector for use between the starter and solenoid depending on your starter model.

Old 03-21-05, 02:37 PM
force95
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replys, got it changed out. Not as hard as I thought it would be getting to the connections.

I showed the items that came with the starter to a mechanic friend and he didn't have a clue what they were for. The starter works fine so apparently they weren't to important.

Thanks Benny

Old 03-22-05, 04:29 PM
The last time I helped my dad change a starter on his 84 chevy half ton. It came with similar items. What the little metal rod is for is to check the clearance between the starter gear and the flywheel, and then add shims if neccessary.

Search this Thread