Driveshaft oil seals - another question

Old 03-20-05, 07:52 PM
Driveshaft oil seals - another question

I posted recently about my attempts to rebuild my transmission and had a question about these seals. I'm in the process of the rebuild and it looks like it could do with new clutch packs in addition to the broken band. However, I had difficulty removing the driveshaft seals - they tore about the edges and the outside appears to be stuck to the case. I was nervous about scraping it off incase any damage to the case should occur and wondered if there are any other ways of removing this like chemicals to dissolve the rubber.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-05, 04:14 AM
If when you removed the seals all you got out was rubber the outer steel part of the seal is still in there.You have to pry it out just try not to damage the case too much.You can file or sand minor scratches away and use a small amount or rtv when installing the new seal.

Old 03-22-05, 12:10 AM
Thanks. Turns out I was not using the seal removal tool properly. I had it too close to the edge and it was simply lifting the edge flange and tearing the rubber. Once it was seated further down, a good tug and the seals popped out easily. Once you know what to do it is not too bad after that.

Old 03-22-05, 03:35 PM
Hey at least your making progress.Take one step at a time.

Search this Thread