Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2003 Ford Taurus Pwr Window will not work

Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 01:56 PM   #1  
blue_steel
2003 Ford Taurus Pwr Window will not work

I tried to lower the pwr window and discovered it was frozen due to rain and 15 degree temps. Now, with 50 degree temps, it will not function.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction before I start taking off the door panel and getting out the meter? The fuse is fine. Could it have a fusible link?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-03-05, 05:11 PM   #2  
oldmedic
No pwr / pwr window

If you've checked the fuse it's time to get the tools. In the future, if you push the express down on the drivers window and it's frozen; reverse the window to prevent the motor from burning out. The express down feature will keeping applying power to the motor even though it won't move.

Non-US

04-03-05, 08:22 PM   #3  
Just for a "goof" turn the key on after dark. Do NOT start the engine. Watch the dome lights very carefully & press the "DOWN" button. Do the lights dim for a second? If so, I suspect a siezed window motor. This system is protected by relays & circuit breakers, so you can't hurt anything.The GEM module senses currant draw & turns the window off @ the bottom of the travel. Let us know what the dome lights do

Visiting Guest

04-04-05, 06:25 PM   #4  
blue_steel
hopkinsr2 : The dome light does dim for a split second when I tried to lower the window. I can also hear a faint "click" in the door as if a relay is activated. It "clicks" if I push the button for up or down, but the window does not move. Let me know of any tricks I can try once I have the door panel off.
Thanks.

Non-US

04-05-05, 08:45 PM   #5  
I'm afraid you'll need a window motor. To verify this, remove the door panel, disconnect the connector to the window motor, put one probe of a test light in a terminal on the body side harness, & the ground of the test light in the other terminal of the connector. If you turn the key on & cycle the window switch, the test light will flash! This tells you power & ground is O.K. & the window motor is @ fault

Visiting Guest

04-11-05, 10:18 AM   #6  
blue_steel
I took the door panel off. Test light showed power to the motor. I took the 3 bolts out holding the motor and tested it out of the door. The motor ran fine. I put it back into the door and it works as good as new. I guess the gear on the motor was binding against the teeth on the window regulator.

Non-US

04-11-05, 07:11 PM   #7  
Hey, Right on!! I'm glad you got it going I think you're on the right track with the gears jammed together, because as you can see, the stuff they are built from is pretty thin I'm gonna remember this trick for next time!! Thanks for your feedback (R)

Search this Thread