Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No Electrical on '93 Jeep

03-22-05, 08:22 AM   #1  
No Electrical on '93 Jeep

I have a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2 L and auto transmission. When I tried to start the car, it will not turn over. I have no electrical at all - no lights, no horn, no brake lights, nothing. I tried jumping the car and this made no difference. I checked the 14 month old battery and it tested at 11.9 Volts. Any direction or checks would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

GA

03-22-05, 11:39 AM   #2  
Posted By: ellersk I have a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2 L and auto transmission. When I tried to start the car, it will not turn over. I have no electrical at all - no lights, no horn, no brake lights, nothing. I tried jumping the car and this made no difference. I checked the 14 month old battery and it tested at 11.9 Volts. Any direction or checks would be appreciated.
If I'm not mistaken a battery is supposed to be at ~12.75 V. I could be wrong. At any rate, you should at least get very dim lights. I think 11.9 V means it's new battery time.

Check the fusable link, this is a fuse/wire that blows in order to keep your car from blowing....hehe & damaging stuff. If it is blown, then one will get symptoms exactly as yours.

03-22-05, 12:16 PM   #3  
Check the battery cables at the battery for signs of sulfation, remove, clean, reinstall. If the battery has removable caps, check the fluid level in the battery.

With no lights, no radio, etc, either the battery or the battery post connectors are defective.

03-22-05, 03:21 PM   #4  
If it were me I would check for fusible links and if they are ok replace both battery cables.

03-22-05, 04:16 PM   #5  
I would suggest have a friend try to turn the key and while he does you hold the volt meter on the battery terminals. If the voltage drops excessivly low then it probably means your battery is in need of replacement. If it does not drop at all then I would say that you have a loose connection someplace.

These Are my Thoughts on the matter,
R. Ellis

03-22-05, 06:32 PM   #6  
Thanks for the help. It was a simple problem of dirty/corroded battery posts and cables (problems seem much worse early in the morning when its raining and cold). After the rain slowed, I cleaned up the battery, added fluid, got a jump and car is running great. Thanks again.

Search this Thread