Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Upper Ball Joint

03-23-05, 05:13 AM   #1  
Upper Ball Joint

I wonder if my 87 Dodge 150 van's upper ball joint needs to be replaced. Their is a very small amount of movement. The man at the service center said it needed replacing. The movement seemed so slight that I thought I would forget it for a while. The tire has some tread left, so I thought that when I need to replace the tires,on the front, I would have the joint replaced then.
Do you have any comments. Should I have it looked at by another shop?

Sponsored Links

03-23-05, 05:14 PM   #2  
The factory service manual will have a procedure for checking and specifications for how loose it can be. Some more than others. A little play does not necessarily mean it is out of specification.

Find a shop who will check it in the proper manner. Just showing you that it moves is not a proper diagnosis.

A friend recently had a lower ball joint break and the wheel fell outward & messed up the fender as he was pulling into his driveway. He had just got off the highway.

03-24-05, 10:46 PM   #3  
In the abscence of real world specs (bear in mind factory specs have everything to do with reducing warranty claims and nothing to do with being smart) you can figure that 0.030" or so on a load bearing joint is not too bad..... any play on a guiding joint is bad kharma. On yours, the upper joints are the guiding joints.

03-25-05, 03:52 AM   #4  
Thanks for the help. I will plan on getting it fixed. Its better to be safe then sorry.
Phil

Search this Thread