Ford F-150 V8 302 manual trans. - knocking

Old 03-23-05, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Ford F-150 V8 302 manual trans. - knocking

My pickup started to knock last fall when I was pulling my small camper. It seemed to lose power going up hills at about the same time. Am I correct in assuming this is a crankshaft journal / connecting rod bearing?

I've been driving it since, without any problems, but I know that driving it is probably harming the engine and that I need to get it fixed ASAP. I only drive it about 2 miles at a time, to work and back. It doesn't knock as bad when it's cold, but as it warms up, the knock gets louder. I've also tried pulling the spark plug wires one at a time to see if it makes any difference, and there is no change in the pitch or hardness of the knock.

If it's a connecting rod bearing, what are my options? If the journal isn't scarred up, is there such a thing as an oversized bearing?

Old 03-24-05, 03:44 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
suggest you see a shop so they can listen to the noise and give you a better idea of what is causing the noise I doubt it is a rod bearing as it probably wouldnt of lasted that long.
they do make oversize rod and main bearings if the journals are not damaged to bad the crankshaft can be turned to restore the journals and an oversize bearing can be used and is commonly done when rebuilding engines.

Old 03-24-05, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks BJ. I guess I forgot to mention that its a 1994, with high miles, but I was told once that it's "branded" so perhaps the motor (and odometer) is not the original.

I wonder what else this knock could be? Once the engine runs 30-60 seconds, it's a loud, solid sounding knock. I plan on having a friend look at it soon.

Old 03-31-05, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Update

Ok, I haven't taken it to the friend yet, (hopefully this weekend after work) but I got under it today with my stethyscope (cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels... ha ha) and the hard knocking is definately coming from the rear main bearing area where the engine meets the manual transmission. Does this shed any light on the problem? I did have the transmission worked on 1-2 years ago, and was never happy with how it turned out.

By the way, I think it's crazy that you have to unbolt and lift an engine just to drop the oil pan. Henry Ford would never have approved of that, I'm sure. LOL.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: