fuel pump dead?????

Old 03-25-05, 01:00 AM
Question fuel pump dead?????

Hello, Having some problems again with my 1987 Dodge D-50 4x4 truck with the Mitsubishi 2.6 motor in it. Anyone know if a fuel pump can slowly die or do they go all at once? Still doing what I had previously posted.Still surges in power at times. I have so far: checked plugs,wires,cap,rotor, vacuum lines, replaced fuel filter and 02 sensor. I had replaced plugs,wires,rotor,and cap about 3 months ago. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-05, 04:07 AM
a mechanical fuel pump will usually cause drivability problems or start leaking fuel while they can fail completly and cause a no start condition this does not happen often.
a fuel pressure test while driving the vehicle while its acting up would have to be done to determine if pump is failing to supply enough fuel to engine under load.
does it occur on hard acceleration only or when the problem is occuring does it get worse if you accelerate more?
does it occur both when the engine is hot or cold?

Old 03-25-05, 11:16 AM
Question

Originally Posted by bejay
a mechanical fuel pump will usually cause drivability problems or start leaking fuel while they can fail completly and cause a no start condition this does not happen often.
a fuel pressure test while driving the vehicle while its acting up would have to be done to determine if pump is failing to supply enough fuel to engine under load.
does it occur on hard acceleration only or when the problem is occuring does it get worse if you accelerate more?
does it occur both when the engine is hot or cold?
Bejay, It does it if it's cold or hot. Seems to only do it in 3rd gear and up? Only under a "load" , However it does seem to get worse when I am in like 3rd gear and behond and gas it?? It seems like it is idling rougher than it used to also. A lady wrecked her car yesterday and I had stopped in the middle of the road to help her. I went back out to move my truck and it stalled!!! Took about 5 tries before it started? It was cranking good! It finally started then ran good?? Thanks in advance! Jack

Old 03-25-05, 02:39 PM
pull the plugs out and examine the condition of all of them they should be light colored and still look new if they are only 3 months old, if they are black or gas fouled look at the choke system to make sure it is opening up when the engine warms up and probably have the exhuast sytem checked for a restriction and replace the plugs again.
if the plugs look ok just reinstall them and the surging problem could be carb or fuel pump related without doing a pressure test there is no real way of knowing I would probably start with a fuel pump as they are not very expensive and are easily changed, as per the rough idle it could be several things you can start by checking for vacum leaks and look closely at all vacum lines for leaks you can also use a pair of pliers to pinch off any vacum lines that are coming off of any intake runner vacum port with the engine running to see if the engine smooths up as these will usually cause the engine to idle very rough if they are leaking.

Old 03-25-05, 09:30 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bejay
pull the plugs out and examine the condition of all of them they should be light colored and still look new if they are only 3 months old, if they are black or gas fouled look at the choke system to make sure it is opening up when the engine warms up and probably have the exhuast sytem checked for a restriction and replace the plugs again.
if the plugs look ok just reinstall them and the surging problem could be carb or fuel pump related without doing a pressure test there is no real way of knowing I would probably start with a fuel pump as they are not very expensive and are easily changed, as per the rough idle it could be several things you can start by checking for vacum leaks and look closely at all vacum lines for leaks you can also use a pair of pliers to pinch off any vacum lines that are coming off of any intake runner vacum port with the engine running to see if the engine smooths up as these will usually cause the engine to idle very rough if they are leaking.
Plugs had looked ok. I was thinking the same as far as replacing the fuel pump. I think it was only like $30.Probably cost that much to have it checked the way labor prices are these days! lol I did find an unhooked smog hose that goes from the smog junk to the back of the air cleaner. It was a big hose about an inch and a half around. Do you think that could have caused it? I guess I'll drive it and see what happens. Seems to be running half decent. Apparently I may have forgotten to hook that hose up when I removed the air cleaner assembly when I changed the oxygen sensor! Maybe that was it? I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the time!! Jack

Search this Thread