Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

88 S-10 Wiring Problems

WV

03-25-05, 09:58 AM   #1  
Lights and signals not working right

Hi all, I bought a 1988 Chevy S-10 about a month and a half ago and having some problems with my turn signals and lights. First the turn signals, when I signal to go left the rear left turn signal doesn't work at all. The front left one works just fine. When I signal to go right, the front right one works just fine but both signals in the rear blink. When I turn on my headlights, the turn signals don't even work. And as far as I know, the rear lights don't work when I have the headlights turned on. What could be my problem and how could I go about resolving this?

Last edited by Joeykh; 03-25-05 at 11:23 AM.

Sponsored Links

03-25-05, 02:58 PM   #2  
start by checking the bulbs are just replacing them. to make sure you dont have a bulb shorted to the tailight circuit and that they are installed correctly check or change both front and back. id expect your right rear bulb is probably shorted causing both rear lights to flash when using the right turn signal
if there is a trailer connector on the vehicle if so you should check were it is spliced into he wiring harness for any damage to the wiring.
also make sure your flasher switch is all the way off.

WV

03-25-05, 04:08 PM   #3  
I have some more info on the problem. Apparently what I thought was wrong. When you turn the signal for the right, the front right blinker works just fine but in the rear, the left blinks instead of the right. When you turn the signal for the left, the front left blinker works just fine but in the rear, the right blinks instead of the left. We can't find any place where the wires are crossed. Also when you turn on the park lights, the blinkers are very dim.

NC

03-26-05, 12:02 AM   #4  
Describe what happens to all the lights if you turn on the hazzard lights.
There should be a yellow wire going to the left rear turn signal and a green wire going to the right rear signal. Check to see if these wires are correct.

WV

03-26-05, 07:03 AM   #5  
Posted By: jeff67 Describe what happens to all the lights if you turn on the hazzard lights.
There should be a yellow wire going to the left rear turn signal and a green wire going to the right rear signal. Check to see if these wires are correct.
When the hazzard lights are turned on, only the front lights flash, nothing happens in the rear. There is a yellow wire going to the left rear turn signal and a green wire going to the right rear turn signal.

03-26-05, 07:34 AM   #6  
Sounds like a ground problem to me. Not sure where the rear taillamp ground is at on this particular truck though. The rear wiring harness should have a connector near the frame where it branches off to the bumper. You might try unplugging it and checking it for corrosion,etc. Also you can take a test light and pierce the ground wire and ground it to see if the lights work correctly.

WV

03-26-05, 08:03 AM   #7  
There is no corrosion or anything.

NC

03-26-05, 08:28 AM   #8  
Do the brake lights and tail lights and reverse lights work? Check for a bad ground like fordtech mentioned with a test light or pierce the ground wire and with another wire (at least 18 or 16 AWG), make a connection to a ground see if that helps. Check fuses for all the lights in the rear if you haven't done so.

WV

03-26-05, 08:40 AM   #9  
Posted By: jeff67 Do the brake lights and tail lights and reverse lights work? Check for a bad ground like fordtech mentioned with a test light or pierce the ground wire and with another wire (at least 18 or 16 AWG), make a connection to a ground see if that helps. Check fuses for all the lights in the rear if you haven't done so.
The brake lights don't work nor do the tail lights or reverse lights. We did check all of the fuses and those are good. We've been checking for a bad ground but haven't found anything yet.

03-26-05, 01:39 PM   #10  
I agree with fordtech, no doubt it is a ground problem. Use a piece of wire to provide a ground from the bulb socket to a good ground to confirm the lights work properly. You may have to ground it to the chassis to get a good ground.

Then you will have to find were the ground connection is faulty.

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 03-26-05 at 04:02 PM.

03-26-05, 02:37 PM   #11  
Is there a trailer hitch connecter added to the harness? If there is, it is a likely area of concern.

NC

03-26-05, 02:42 PM   #12  
There may be some rust or corrosion at the ground wire to ground connection.

03-26-05, 04:11 PM   #13  
Good point Bigguy…First place you look when diagnosing a problem is what was added to the vehicle after manufacture.

The list goes like this: Alarm,remote starts, stereo, lights, trailer connections etc

Next question is ever in an accident.

WV

03-29-05, 07:51 AM   #14  
I'm having trouble finding all of the ground. Actually any of the grounds. I know of two that I need to look for. (A black wire and white wire). I can't find either though. Any help would be appreciated.

WV

03-29-05, 08:31 AM   #15  
And I mean where it hooks up to the frame.

WV

03-29-05, 10:45 AM   #16  
Ugh, it's just frustrating me so much. I am about ready to just take it to a mechanic and have them take care of it. Any idea on how much it would probably cost?

03-29-05, 09:17 PM   #17  
Since your front lamps are working all you would need to do is ground the rear. You mentioned the ground colors so i assume you do see them at the lamp bulb connectors. Just take a piece of wire and ground these to the frame. You might have to drill a hole to do so, if you can't find a bolt or screw in the frame already. Your original ground wire might have been removed or got broken off in the past. Good luck !!

Search this Thread