I can't shift out of park..

Old 03-27-05, 04:07 PM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
I can't shift out of park..

I have a 1995 Olds Cutlass supreme automatic transmission. The gear shift is on the floor, with a button to push in to get it out of park. It has been a little stiff for a while, but now I can't push it in at all....Any ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-05, 06:41 PM
Cool

Have you also had a problem turning the ignition key at times? Do you use the ashtray or do you smoke and hold the gearshift with the cigarette in your hand. There is an interlock mechanism on the gearshift. Lack of lubrication causes it to not function properly. Ashes are a culprit many times or spilled drinks that gum up the works. Also, on some of the shifters, there is a clip that pushes in from the front of the shifter base. If it falls out, the shifter is useless because it just rides up and down the shaft and does not disengage the shifter from it's detent. If the clip is in place, you will need to remove the center console, clean up the mess and lubricate the shifter. Hopefully, this will solve the problem. If not, it may be a more serious issue in the shift cable or in the transmission. good luck.

Old 03-29-05, 08:03 PM
cindyk
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips...we'll check out your suggestions!