Oil and Tranny Questions/Recommendations

Old 03-28-05, 06:30 AM
Oil and Tranny Questions/Recommendations

What type of oil and filter should I buy for the 1995 Taurus with 160k? I am chaning the oil for the first time myself and for once I get to choose my own brand.

Any other tips for a first timer?

&

Tranny fluid flushed once at 60k, I am now at 160k and going to drop the pan and change the fluid and install new filter...with a friend.

Do I just go to any car store and ask for a tranny filter for a Taurus? Is there a specific brand I should ask for?

And, what time of fluid should I buy?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Last edited by coopns; 03-28-05 at 10:50 AM. Reason: fixing year
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 10:09 AM
ask for a transmission filter kit it should come with a tansmission filter and pan gasket if your pan gasket is not the reusable style.
not going into brands as most all of them meet the requirements for your vehicle.
check your owners manual for type of transmission fluid needed or have parts store look it up for you. someone on here may know what type of fluid your transmission takes but they would have to know the year of the vehicle.

Old 03-29-05, 06:31 AM
jaansu
Visiting Guest
is this a easy job??

How difficult is dropping the tranny pan, replacing the filter and gasket and replacing the pan on most cars? I know the bolts need to be torqued but is this something I should have no fear tackling on my 90 Camry and 96 Odessey if I have the shop manuals? Or is this something that has a sufficiently high possiblity of royally screwing up the tranny for someone who hasn't done much more than replace plugs, oil, gas filters, etc.

Old 03-29-05, 07:42 AM
If your changing tranny fluid for the first time, then be sure to buy the large oil drip pan to put under the car. It looks like a cookie sheet, but much much bigger. It's sold at the auto supply store.

As for oil filters, they all are acceptable if you change your oil freqently.
If you skip filter changes, then avoid Fram. I've cut open 4 different filters and I can tell you that the store brand is the best bang for the buck.

As for oil. They all the same to me. My observations are that people buy the brand that there fathers used and are fiercely devoted to that brand.

Tranny fluid come in several specifications. Ask your auto parts store to show you what you need for your car.

Tips:

Don't lose the brass washer that may be on your oil plug. Reinstall it.

Engine oil is hot. Let engine cool down before changing, but still warm.

Do make sure that the old oil filter comes off with it's large mouth o-ring. If not, then peel it off the engine. The new filter has it's own o-ring.

Do lube the new o-ring with engine oil before installing.

Do not use the oil filter wrench to tighten the new filter. The instructions are on the oil filter for tighening.

Do check your new oil level before and after you drive the car and check for leaks.

Do check your owners manual for the correct amount of oil. The amount will vary depending on whether you are changing the filter or not.

Do grasp the quart of oil on the spout side of the quart. Pour with the spout side 'up'. This will prevent that starting splash and spill, and eliminate gurgling.

Do put a rag around the oil filler cap before you fill, to prevent spills from running on the engine. Spills will create lots of smoke as you drive.

When you buy your oil, ask the store if they will take your old oil. Sometimes they require a minimum of 5 gals for recycling.

Do plan on topping off your washer fluid and check radiator and battery levels while your under the hood. Also a good time to check tire pressures.

Old 03-29-05, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the tips for a first timer.

Any tranny tips?

Old 03-29-05, 11:08 AM
Tranny tips? Er, uh, let someone else do it. lol. It's a very messy job, even with a car hoist.

Before you buy the tranny kit, inspect the tranny pan and see if you can get it off without removing other items that may be blocking it in a front wheel drive car.