Dodge Caravan 1989 with 2 problems?

Old 03-28-05, 11:50 AM
Arn C.
Visiting Guest
Dodge Caravan 1989 with 2 problems?

Hello to all !
My first post here.

I have a 1989 Dodge Caravan 2.5L . No a/c , no extras at all !
My fan on the radiator will not come on. I replaced the thermostat, temp switch, flushed cooling system and added new, new waterpump. I took the fan out and checked that it worked with 12 volts and it did just fine. Anyone have a clue what may be wrong? Fuse somewhere?

This vehicle also has a thump, thump, thump sound coming from the front drivers side, only when driving. If I turn to the right it is less noticeable, straight and to the left it is more noticeable. I figure it is either a wheel bearing or a cv joint(drive shaft). How can I tell which one it is? If it is either one of these problems.

Thanks a bunch!
Arn C.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 01:07 PM
check the fusible links on the drivers side inner fender may be by washer bottle or just behind battery pull on the links if they pull apart they are blown and will need replaced with the same size fusible link wire.
could also be the cooling fan relay usually mounted on the same fender near battery.
check your cv boots if any of them are torn then it is likely the joint may be making noise as they wear out quickly after the boot gets torn that holds the grease in the joint.
could be tire noise doesnt really sound like a wheel bearing suggest taking to a shop to have the front end checked out.

Old 03-31-05, 01:25 PM
Arn C.
Visiting Guest
Well, I got the fan going. I changed out the relay and still no go.
The ground side of the relay, I am assuming this is ground when the temperature sending unit(bulb) closes, once it gets hot enough. I may be wrong. Anyhow, I bypassed that wire. I took it off and ran a ground wire to that lug on the relay and now it works, all the time when the car is started. I am wondering if the temp bulb is bad. I had replaced it a few weeks ago and the fan came on once after I replaced it and never again. Not sure what happened. Thanks Bejay!

Arn C.

Old 03-31-05, 01:48 PM
the computer grounds the relay and turns on the fan the coolant temp sending unit sends its information to the computer then the computer then grounds the relay turning on the fan it probably wont come on till around 215 to 220 degrees. also a quick test would be to unplug the coolant temp sensor when the engine is running you do this when you set ignition timing, when you unplug the coolant sensor the computer should kick on the fan within a few seconds and the power loss or check engine light will come on.
if you have an oil light on at low idle speeds you probably have low oil pressure as they are designed to turn the light on when oil pressure drops below a certain psi usually 5-7 psi.
the idle is all computer controlled there is a base idle setting but it does not usually need to be adjusted.