finding engine coolant drainports

Old 03-23-05, 11:23 AM
jaansu
Visiting Guest
finding engine coolant drainports

I would like to do a proper job on my 4-cylinder 1990 Camry of draining and replacing the coolant. I have the shop manual but it is not sufficiently clear on where to find the engine drain for the coolant. I'm assuming if I drain at the radiator that I would be draining all of it. Any suggestions, such as finding some helpful department within Toyota corporate HQ to send a picture, as to how to find such ports? The local dealer's service shop probably isn't going to put the car up on a lift to point anything out to me.

Old 03-23-05, 11:02 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you drain the radiator you are not draining all of it. there is still the coolent in the engine and heater core. you Might have to disconnect a hose to drain it.

Old 03-24-05, 03:53 AM
jaansu
Visiting Guest
zzzz1486

I've heard that as well. On most cars, if I first drain via the radiator stopcock, then disconnect the lower rad hose at the radiator, does that allow the engine's coolant to flow out? How difficult is it to disconnect hoses that haven't been moved in a while? Any trick beyond brute force to get them off?

Old 03-24-05, 04:21 AM
Z
first Drain it via the stopcock. then fill it back up with water and let the car run for 5 or 10 minures and repeat. after you've done that drain what you can again and add coolent. let it run for about 10 minutes and then test the concentration of antifreze. You can get a tester for about five bucks at your local auto parts shop. it tests the boil over poing and the freezing point based on the specific gravity of the fluid. then you can adjust it to the proper level, making sure to let it circulate after you add some fluid.

thats the long way of doing it

or you just can drain the radiator via the stopcock and fill it back up with a 50/50 mix of water and coolent. and just do this every year or two and you should be fine, i would reccomend this if you have had the coolent changed regulary before but i would use the first method if it hasnt been changed in five or more years.

Old 03-24-05, 06:34 AM
M
hoses

If the hoses are 1990 vintage or over 5 years I would go ahead and replace them also just to be on the safe side.Thats just me.

Old 03-25-05, 05:22 AM
jaansu
Visiting Guest
zzzz1486, Michael

Sounds like good advice, new hoses and check the density to be sure enough antifreeze percent. I thought that if I could find the engine ports that I could flush the system with a garden hose to get all the particles, rust, etc out. Or am I being too anal here? I've had the car 5 of it's 15 years and I'm sure the system has never been flushed, just coolant replaced. I assume when you order coolant replacement in a shop that it's only done via the radiator stopcock?

I've never tackled coolant replacement before. How is the best way to wrestle off a hose? If it's sticking, does a heat gun help to loosen?

Old 03-25-05, 05:33 AM
M
I would

I would just drain with the petcock fill with water run engine (heater on) drain and do this several times.As far as the hose goes if you are going to replace it just cut a slit in it were it hooks up and remove.
Do not forget to drain the little overflow tank.
If you can park with the nose of the car down on a slant I think more water will come out of the engine.
But do not fill it with the nose on a slant because you will get a air pocket that is not good.

Old 03-29-05, 06:26 AM
jaansu
Visiting Guest
camry coolant exchange

The lower hose from the engine seems to point down to the lower rad inlet. This suggests to me that the engine coolant would also drain as the petcock would be at the lowest point of the system or am I missing something here and it's still best to take off the lower hose for draining? Perhaps the petcock doesn't allow larger particles to exit?

Two last questions. In filling the system with water, running 10 min, draining and repeating, do I do this with the rad cap off to avoid pressurizing? I assume I should use distilled water for these 'flushes' since some of this water will stay in the system?

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Old 03-29-05, 06:49 AM
M
plain water at first

. I would use plain garden hose water at the first flushes. Yes, leave cap off and look inside while running you should see the water move as the thermostat opens.(this might take a long time).
The reason for the back of car up a bit is to get all the water from the block. Taking off the hose were it hooks to lower radiator will speed up water removal.
After the final rinse put it all back together with clamps etc. and then add your distilled water/ coolant mix.Dont forget the over flow tank also needs fluid.
Drive around with a bottle of your mix for a few miles and check level and fill if needed thats about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: