GM 3.1 V6 expert help needed.

Old 03-28-05, 06:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GM 3.1 V6 expert help needed.

!995 Lumina 3.1 V6 125,000 miles. On a 200 mile trip it went through 3 qt. of coolant. We got it back though. It was in the oil pan.

Where is this engine most likely to be leaking coolant into the oil? Head gasket, intake gasket or other.??? The engine has not been overheated.

The owner needs to keep the car for a year or 2 if he can. We drained the oil & filter. Fillled it up & ran it for about 10 minutes with the radiator cap off, hoping not to push any more coolant into the oil. Then drained & refilled with oil & new filter. He needs to decide what to do next. How long does it take for the anti freeze to damage the bearings. I know it did not do them any good but if we get the leak fixed have we destroyed the bearings yet?

Old 03-28-05, 07:17 PM
M
A known problem on the 3.1 and 3.4 is the lower intake gasket failure. The head gaskets do fail on these as well, but all the ones I've seen leak are external in the right lower corner of the heads. If you had the car on a hoist, you would easily see if they were leaking externally. You'd better have a tech check it out. If it happens to be a head gasket leaking internally, the intake gaskets would be replaced at the same time as well.

Old 03-28-05, 08:25 PM
C
We pressure checked the cooling system. It did leak but no external leaks were found. All of the coolant went into the oil pan. I assume you are saying the intake gaskets are known to leak coolant into the oil but the head gaskets are more likely to result in an external coolant leak.

Old 03-29-05, 02:48 AM
B
it doesnt take long driving the vehicle with antifreeze in the oil to damage the bearings but you may be ok I would pull the intake and look at the gasket closely it will probably so signs where it was leaking if it is the intake gasket.

Old 03-31-05, 08:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
let us know what's up, my GF has one

Old 03-31-05, 04:25 PM
C
Originally Posted by comp
let us know what's up, my GF has one
It was the intake gasket