97 honda passport belt problem

Old 03-30-05, 08:47 AM
Jeffac1
Visiting Guest
97 honda passport belt problem

I have replaced the belts on my honda passport a couple of times, but it seems like they get worn really quick (replaced them a year ago and they are already fraying on one side). Any tips as to how I can figure out what is out of alignment to cause this? I figure that something must be pushed out too far, or something along those lines, but can not figure out what. I thought about dropping a plumb line down to check for alignment, but do not know it this will work. As a result of this problem my POS sounds terrible. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-05, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jeffac1
I have replaced the belts on my honda passport a couple of times, but it seems like they get worn really quick (replaced them a year ago and they are already fraying on one side). Any tips as to how I can figure out what is out of alignment to cause this? I figure that something must be pushed out too far, or something along those lines, but can not figure out what. I thought about dropping a plumb line down to check for alignment, but do not know it this will work. As a result of this problem my POS sounds terrible. Any suggestions?
Take the belt off so you can rotate all the pulleys & make sure there are no rough edges etc. Make sure none are bent. Tensioners wear out and can cause belt problems. Yes check the alignment. Can you use a straight edge of some type such as a level or piece of angle iron to see if the pulleys are all in line with each other?

This may not be your problem but I have found small gravel pieces stuck in the V of the pulleys that will cut the opposing V off the belt. I have also had a plastic pulley where the flat surface was not straight across which caused the belt to go bad in a short period of time.