Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 Toyota Tercel Surging,bogging down

Visiting Guest

03-30-05, 05:20 PM   #1  
mousitch
92 Toyota Tercel Surging,bogging down

My 92 (3ee) (135000 miles)tercel is having problems.It runs quite well when cold,,(little rough idle while in drive at a stop) but when it warms up after about 20 min it doesnt like to go ...it doesnt buck...it just seems like it has half the power.( I mean its scary to pull out in traffic!)once I get up to about 45 mph it takes off like nothing is wrong...But at the next stop it has no power until it revs up to 40-45 mph.Checked the plugs and they do need changing but I figured if the plugs were shot it would run poorly all the time.Great on the highway just crappy once warmed up and at low speed.Checked the vac lines (did the carb cleaner trick) Im stumped(coil...wires cap)? I heard the fuel filters in these were pretty rugged ....Any help would be great before I go out this weekend and blow a wad on sensors and parts to pinpoint my problem. Thanks Doug
Oh and it has gotten progressilvy worse over time At first it surged a little now it s BAD

Sponsored Links

03-30-05, 05:47 PM   #2  
Check for codes, then see if o2 sensor is switching between .3-.8 v

Visiting Guest

03-30-05, 06:31 PM   #3  
mousitch
best way to check codes ( autozone?)...So this could possibly be a o2 or just a starting point?

03-30-05, 06:36 PM   #4  
OUTPUT OF DIAGNOSTIC CODES
To obtain an output of diagnostic codes, proceed as follows:
1. Initial conditions
(a) Battery voltage above 11 volts.
(b) Throttle valve fully closed (throttle position sensor
IDL points closed).
(c) Transmission in neutral position.
(d) Accessory switches OFF.
(e) Engine at normal operating temperature.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON. Do not start the engine.
3. Using jumper connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the check connector under the hood.

Visiting Guest

03-31-05, 05:21 PM   #5  
mousitch
thanks for the info Toyotaman

I pulled out the o2 sensor today at work...didnt have time or cash to make it to the parts store,I took a propane torch and heated the sensor up to bake off any contanaments ...worked good no bogging or missing while driving,still a miss in idle but probably from a bad plug,,,three look real good and one is disentagrating,,,Ill be sure to let you know how it runs,,this weekend im going to change plugs,cap,rotor to see if i can get rid of that miss i have during idle in drive thanks!

Search this Thread