Transmission Rebuild Question

Old 03-31-05, 11:27 PM
Transmission Rebuild Question

I'm having difficulty making the sealing rings stick around the oil pump. The 2 rings that came in the gasket kit seem to have the annoying ability to keep expanding. I was able to keep one in place by using an excessive amount of transmission assembly lube. However, I tried installing with the other one in a slightly expanded state but when I tried to install the oil pump onto the direct clutch shaft, it expanded further and got crushed into the shaft. These rings can be compressed but as soon as I expand them to get them on to the shaft they seem to expand excessively.

The other rings were fine.

Is there some trick to making them stay in place?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 05:49 AM
What are we working on?

Old 04-01-05, 11:01 AM
Suzuki MX17 trans - I think also known as Toyota A210. Had to take it apart to replace the second brake band which was broken (no second gear). While I was at it I removed and cleaned the whole front planetary assembly and also replaced all the o-rings and seals I could get at including some of the sealing rings. I also installed new clutches and plates gives that it only cost about $20 for a new set so I thought I would rebuild the clutch packs while the tanny was out. The oil pump has two rings on the shaft and this is the one that has been a bit difficult to make stick. I had to order another ring kit since the kit come with the exact number of rings so if you wreck one there is no spare.

I'm working off the ATSG manual for this trans.

Old 04-01-05, 11:07 AM
I thought those manuals were pretty good, it doesn't give any suggestions?

Old 04-01-05, 11:12 AM
Yes the manual is pretty good. I was quite pleased with it especially as it has all the details of the hydraulic diagrams which helps with torubleshooting. With regard to this they simpy say - do not expand the rings excessivly and also apply lots of lube to keep it in palce. Maybe I should really pile the lube on for these rings (maybe they were not pressed properly during manufacture) but I just wondered if there were any other tricks I was missing.

Old 04-01-05, 04:00 PM
After you put the seals on the pump you could try shrinking them.Get a peice of smooth plastic that you can form in a circle.Make it to fit the pump with the seal in place and tighten slightly with a worm style hose clamp.Allow the clamp to hold the seal for 1 full minute and release the clamp.Some seals need to be held in the proper size to resize themselves after being streached to fit.You probably should have let them alone if they are plastic seals usually they are ok unless metal has been floating in the trans and they got tore up.

Old 04-01-05, 06:35 PM
Thaks for the tip - if the new ones do not hold then I will try that trick. Yeah, I'm now regretting changing them as the old ones were fine. Since I had a new gasket pack I thought I would change everything out while I was at it and did not realize getting them to seat would be an issue. Interesting learning experience anyway.

Old 04-07-05, 09:07 PM
OK so the trick appears to be to use plenty of assembly lube. Once enough is on, it holds the rings firmly in place. Did not try the clamp method. I noticed that even the good ring that did not get crushed had still not seated properly having been in the transmission for a few days. It seems like to mechanically get it to fit you either have to compress the ring further back than its natural diameter or hold it in place for very long time.

Search this Thread