Need help with sagging ceiling liner!

Old 04-02-05, 12:13 PM
Need help with sagging ceiling liner!

I have a 1989 Chev Blazer that I had put a lot of work into last year.

The only problem with the vehicle now is that the material on the ceiling liner is coming loose and sagging down considerably. This condition is getting worse all the time.

I had a similar problem with another vehicle (S-10 pickup) a few years ago and removed the liner, used the prescribed spray-on adhesive, re-installed the liner, but the problem came back within a couple of months.

I ended up removing it again and sewing the material to the foam- sort of like quilting it.

I'm not overly concerned about the appearance, and would like to resolve this problem without removing the liner- it was a pain in the pick-up- I imagine it would be worse in the Blazer.

Any suggestions? Staples? All ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 03:09 PM
Cool

ahhhhhhhhh, what I always refer to as the famous hanging healdiner!!! Had many and have seen many!! I used the prescribed 3-M adhesive spray and it seems to only work temporarily! I once saw push pins used! (LOL) Looked a little funny but it worked!! Only known remedy that I know of that looks perfect and works is buying a new one! But, who wants to do that! Get some pins and staples! LOL Better than having it hang down I guess unless you wanna spend the $$$ on a new one??

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-02-05 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Use of quote feature to copy an entire post is redundant & distracting
Old 04-03-05, 06:20 AM
I've used upholstery tacks b4.

Old 04-03-05, 06:36 AM
Many success stories with the push pins
Other than that it's get a new one
You may want to call around for prices on having it done
In some areas it can be very reasonable

Old 04-03-05, 08:02 AM
It's not all that much trouble or expensive to do it right. Remove the headliner out of the car, remove all traces of the old headliner, and glue a new one in place. About $20 for the material at your local Jo-Ann Fabrics, $10 for the 3M Super-Trim adhesive spray, aA fraction of a Saturday, and you have yourself a professional repair good for another 16 years that you can be proud of.

Old 04-03-05, 08:59 AM
Kestas

Kestas- If I had faith in the 3M spray, I would give it a try. I did use it on a previous vehicle- following instructions carefully- and found that the material started to separate again in a matter of months.

For that reason pushpins/upholstery tacks are looking the most promising so far.

Tom

Old 04-03-05, 09:41 AM
My repair lasted for at least five years - maybe longer. I sold the car.

Did you use new material? It's the foam layer that crumbles with time. If you simply reattached the old material, it'll simply delaminate further at the leftover foam layer.

Old 04-03-05, 10:05 AM
I used the same material. I wasn't having a problem with de-lamination - just the cloth separating from the foam liner.

The foam appears to be in great shape, again- just the material coming loose and sagging.

Tom

Old 04-03-05, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure if you understand that the foam is considered part of the original headliner material. From what you describe it seems that the outer visible covering is separating cleanly from the foam layer.... essentially it is 'delaminating'. You need to completely remove the foam layer and get to the base backing before applying new headliner material. If you would go to the fabric store and take a look at the new material you'd see what I'm talking about.

Old 04-03-05, 11:15 AM
You're right!

You're right, I don't understand.

When I removed my last liner I had a piece of foam with cloth material covering the bottom and wrapped around the edges of the foam. Those were the only 2 components. Above that only steel. No backing material.

"the outer visible covering is separating cleanly from the foam layer"

That is what is happening.

Tom

Old 04-03-05, 03:43 PM
That's the problem with the spray adhesive quick fix
Sometimes it works
Sometimes it doesn't

Old 04-03-05, 05:50 PM
Tom, I'm not sure how the S-10 headliner is designed. If there is no backing structure that can be removed from the truck's interior, and they indeed glue it right to the steel panel, then it sounds like a very low-cost design. Even my lowly Omni had a backing board. Hopefully the headliner in your Blazer is more amenable to repair. Try removing the trim around the headliner and see if the headliner is removable.

One of my clients is an engineer that designs headliners at Johnson Controls. They have a (new to me) design that glues headliner material to a formed fiberglass backing... a lot stronger that the flimsy and brittle cardboard used in my Omni.

Old 04-04-05, 04:14 AM
it's a cardboard...

...piece with a foam backed materiel glued on. the foam and outer layer separate over time and the materiel sages on your head.

two options...three really

1) take it to an upholstery shop and let them do the whole thing...this is most costly

2) remove the headliner assembly yourself and take it to an upholstery shop and they will clean and recover it for you.

3) remove the headliner, taking care not to fracture it, pull the fabric off exposing the foam that is still glued to the rigid part. with a stiff wisk broom, rub all the old foam off getting it as clean as possible, then following the directions, use a trim adhesive, glue a new piece of materiel purchased from the fabric store, wrapping it around just like the old one was. reinstall...

for my money, most of the cost is in the labor to remove and install...so option 2 is the one that saves the most and is the least hassle. i had an astro van with a two peice headliner in it and yes, it was a PIA to remove and replace...but the upholstery shop only charged $75 to recover both pieces...i'd do it again in a heat beat. good luck...