Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bad Gas????????

PA

04-02-05, 03:26 PM   #1  
Bad Gas? (power loss)??

Ok, still having problems with my 1987 Dodge D-50 4x4 with the 2.6 Mitsubushi motor in it(carburated) Some days it runs pretty good but still tends to idle a little rough. Some days it runs like crap, power surging, stalling, and just loss of power ! It's like I'm going down the road and I step on the gas and there's nothing there?? So far I have changed: plugs,wires,rotor,cap,fuel filter, and oxygen sensor. I just put some gas in it and brought the gauge up to like a half a tank. Seems to be running good so far, but it was only like 3 miles home!! This has been going on for like 3 weeks and seems to come and go!! Only thing I can figure is either bad gas or bad fuel pump??? Thanks in advance!!!! Jack

Last edited by unclejack; 04-03-05 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsored Links

WV

04-03-05, 03:19 PM   #2  
You could try getting some dry gas or some rubbing alcohol from the drug store and pouring that in the tank in case you actually have bad gas. It might take awhile to get it all out, but the alcohol does a real good job of drying up water in gas.
Good Luck,
Billy

PA

04-03-05, 04:30 PM   #3  
Posted By: billys68ss You could try getting some dry gas or some rubbing alcohol from the drug store and pouring that in the tank in case you actually have bad gas. It might take awhile to get it all out, but the alcohol does a real good job of drying up water in gas.
Good Luck,
Billy
Thanks Bill !!! I truly appreciate your time! I'll try it and let you know how it works out! Jack

04-04-05, 12:42 AM   #4  
Vacuum Leak?

Posted By: unclejack Ok, still having problems with my 1987 Dodge D-50 4x4 with the 2.6 Mitsubushi motor in it(carburated) Some days it runs pretty good but still tends to idle a little rough. Some days it runs like crap, power surging, stalling, and just loss of power ! It's like I'm going down the road and I step on the gas and there's nothing there?? So far I have changed: plugs,wires,rotor,cap,fuel filter, and oxygen sensor. I just put some gas in it and brought the gauge up to like a half a tank. Seems to be running good so far, but it was only like 3 miles home!! This has been going on for like 3 weeks and seems to come and go!! Only thing I can figure is either bad gas or bad fuel pump??? Thanks in advance!!!! Jack
Does the problem change with air or engine temp? Just a thought, I've seen the vacuum choke pull off diaphragm crack on the 2.6 carb, causing rough idle, stumble and stall. Not only will it cause a vacuum leak but the choke will also be out of adjustment.

FYI;The choke pull off is integrated into the carb but is serviceable separately.

David

PA

04-04-05, 07:02 AM   #5  
Posted By: DKM Does the problem change with air or engine temp? Just a thought, I've seen the vacuum choke pull off diaphragm crack on the 2.6 carb, causing rough idle, stumble and stall. Not only will it cause a vacuum leak but the choke will also be out of adjustment.

FYI;The choke pull off is integrated into the carb but is serviceable separately.

David
Thanks!! This sounds very familiar!! I'll give it a shot, or take it to the garage and let them know your thoughts! I'll get back to everyone as to what the problem is!! Thanks again!!! Jack

Search this Thread