Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How does a hub assembly sound?

Visiting Guest

04-03-05, 04:38 PM   #1  
oldmedic
How does a hub assembly sound?

My daughter has a 2000 Chevy Cavalier LS with ABS. She's complaining of a high pitched squeal in the right front (passenger side) wheel when she turns right. (Only a small deflection needed to produce squeal) I think I can hear it sometimes but I lost most of my high frequency hearing to military jet engines. The brakes are fine and there's not a clicking such as a CV joint would make. Is this the sound of early hub assembly bearing failure? I had a similar failure on a 1980 Citation but I could plainly hear it. Replacement was very straight forward job once I got a big enough socket for the axle nut. Any suggestions or comments. New bearing price is $55-78 on the net, would a used one be worth the effort. oldmedic

Sponsored Links

04-03-05, 04:49 PM   #2  
Bearing donít make a squealing sound, what you describe sounds like a pad anti-rattle clip is out of place and hitting the rotor. Remove the pads and examine them.

Visiting Guest

04-03-05, 04:52 PM   #3  
oldmedic
Less squealing is good

Thanks for the input. I only hope its that easy. oldmedic

Search this Thread