Error code P301. How to fix?

Old 04-04-05, 05:19 AM
Error code P301. How to fix?

97 Chevy Lumina 3.1L V6 94K miles
Service Engine Soon light comes on. OBDII reader says P301 (#1 cylinder misfire)

I don't feel anything different with the error code on. The engine runs as smooth (or as rough?) as it used to. Is this normal?

Here is what I did.

1) At 70k miles (about a year ago), replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires. Routine maintenance.
2) After Service Engine Soon (SES) light came on, checked error code and erased it. The code returned within a week. Now SES, and error code stays.
3) Replaced spark plug #1. Error code stays on.

Is the ignition coil the number 1 suspect? If coil is the culprit, can I swap them and see if misfire moves to another cylinder?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-05, 07:01 AM
Did you apply dielectric grease on the new plug wires?
What brand are the wires, store brand, etc?
I see you live in Florida. Did the problem begin in the spring when humidity levels rise?

Old 04-04-05, 07:04 AM
I'd suspect wires/plugs
Maybe loose,faulty or no grease like Lug says

Old 04-04-05, 09:58 AM
1) Yes, I did apply silicone grease on the wires when the new ones were installed. Also, when I replaced #1 spark plug last week, I added a little more to the wire.

But I have not checked the other end of the wire, I mean where it is connected to the coil. I will unplug it and put some silicone grease.

2) High humidity and Florida are synonymous especially in spring and summer.

3) Wire brand: I do not remember. They had 2 brands. The store clerk said he would use the same (less expensive) on his car. So I got the cheaper one.

Thanks for advice. I will update the progress.

Old 04-04-05, 10:21 AM
If you take the old plug wire to the auto store, they will carry single wires based on length (inches) and style of boot. Match it up to one with a good boot like the factory wire had.

Old 04-05-05, 04:40 AM
Last night I put some silicone grease on the spark plug wire and cleared the code. This morning I drove the car about 5 miles. so far no problem. Thanks for the tip.