Shelf life

Old 04-04-05, 02:23 PM
William521
Visiting Guest
Shelf life

HI All,

I have a couple of questions I would like answered if okay. First of what is the shelf life of gasoline if it is sitting in a garage. Second what is the shelf life of a gas and oil mixture if it is inside of a gas tank. Thirdly what is the shelf life of motor oil if it is sitting in a garage.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-05, 03:31 PM
Gasoline stored in a metal can will generally reliably last up to a year and can last longer. If your storing it longer, you can add addditives to fresh gas to prolong its life.

You may think of a gas tank as a metal can.

Gas and oil mixture can create residue problems if the gas is allowed to evaporate.

Gasoline stored in a plastic can will not last as long, but I don't know how long.

Motor oil, I have no idea.

Old 04-04-05, 07:04 PM
There was a discusion of motor oil shelf life here a while ago
The consesus and evidence of personal and professional studies presented seemed to indicate that motor oil in a sealed container is good for many, many, years

Old 04-05-05, 03:09 AM
2 stroke mixed gasoline does not last very long without some sort of an additive and can damage rubber hoses or rubber components inside the tank if left for a few months without being treated.

Old 04-05-05, 10:13 AM
William521
Visiting Guest
Excellent

I am assuming that the additive that you are referring to in order to extend gasoline shelf life or an oil/gas mixture is sta-bil. Is that correct.

Old 04-05-05, 10:33 AM
yes, you are correct.

Old 04-05-05, 11:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
gas start's to get "stail" after 30 day's (roughly) i use sta-bil in everything that sit's longer than that ... it's cheap insurance, because we don't all have the same type's of fuel..

Old 04-06-05, 09:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it is any help, I had an 84 Mazda B2000 years ago. It once sat in my yard for about 13 months and it started first try without any kind of gas treatment in it. Couold just be a fluke, but it impressed me.