Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Trouble

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 02:33 PM   #1  
cluelessneville
Honda Trouble

1989 Honda Accord Lxi EFI

After the engine warms up, the Check Engine light comes on. This has been occurring for about 3-4 months. I've noticed that at stops, while in gear, the enginge lunges (accelerates, wants to move forward). I can prevent this by putting it in Neutral.

I also have a Hard Start when Hot condition. When the engine has cooled down, there is no problem starting.

The ECU (I think that's what it is) is located behind the Driver's seat. I count 6 flashes followed by a pause, and continues with 6 flashes, which, after researching, I believe indicates a Code 6: ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) defective circuit or unplugged/defective sensor.

As I stated earlier, these conditions have been occurring only for the past few (2-4) months, so I don't know of anything that has been unplugged.

I've considered a bad o2 sensor, but have been told that that would not cause a Hard Start condition. Though, considering the age and mileage (about 200K) of the car, it would seem reasonable that the o2 needs replaced, but I don't see this as the primary cause of my troubles. Am I mistaken?

Can anyone help me locate this ECT Sensor and its circuit, and advise me on troubleshooting methods of this circuit?

Any other ideas would also be appreciated. And if I didn't list enough specs for my model, I apologize - please let me know.

Thanks,
clueless

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 02:43 PM   #2  
Elizabethl
Re:surging engine-Same thing with my '90 Honda accord...replaced the 0'2 sensor as suggested by mechanic...made no difference....unplugged throttle position sensor and every thing worked out fine...as far as the hard starting....never figured it out...weirdest thing is, when I park it in the sun, it won't start....when I park it in the shade tho...it'll start every time....now that's something to go h'mmmm about.

04-05-05, 03:23 PM   #3  
Posted By: Elizabethl Re:surging engine-Same thing with my '90 Honda accord...replaced the 0'2 sensor as suggested by mechanic...made no difference....unplugged throttle position sensor and every thing worked out fine...as far as the hard starting....never figured it out...weirdest thing is, when I park it in the sun, it won't start....when I park it in the shade tho...it'll start every time....now that's something to go h'mmmm about.
There is a relay under the dash that goes bad and will not let Honda's start but when the temperature changes they will start.

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 03:33 PM   #4  
cluelessneville
Posted By: car nut There is a relay under the dash that goes bad and will not let Honda's start but when the temperature changes they will start.
The car will start when hot, but it takes some time (maybe a minute or so).

Where is this relay? In the fuse box? Does it have a name?

Thanks for the reply

ps) guys I'm a total clueless newbie about cars and their parts. As much info as possible is appreciated.

04-05-05, 05:23 PM   #5  
See next post.

Last edited by car nut; 04-05-05 at 05:39 PM.

04-05-05, 05:39 PM   #6  
On the 89 Civic it is under the dash by the steering wheel. Not sure if it is in the same location on your Accord.

If the relay goes bad the car will crank but not start. If you roll down the windows & open the doors to let the interior cool off the car will then start.

I'm sorry I do not know the name of the relay. This is a common problem so a good Honda repair shop should be able to tell you what relay to ask for. A good Honda parts person may know also.

Non-US

04-05-05, 09:31 PM   #7  
Car nut is right on track. It's called a "Main Relay" & will fail @ anytime it likes. It's above your left foot & kinda biege in color. If your car won't start, give it a gentle "whack" & try again

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 10:07 PM   #8  
cluelessneville
Posted By: hopkinsr2 Car nut is right on track. It's called a "Main Relay" & will fail @ anytime it likes. It's above your left foot & kinda biege in color. If your car won't start, give it a gentle "whack" & try again
Yes, I'll try that "gentle whack"

Please understand though, that I do not have a NO START condition; The car will start when hot. It just wants to be stubborn. It usually will start after I make several attempts. Usually, I turn the key on, wait for the click I hear when the Check Engine light goes out, then crank. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not.

I'm still interested in this Code 6 the ECU is sending.

Thanks

VA

04-06-05, 05:47 AM   #9  
follow up on the...

...ECT code first...then worry about whacking relays. Honda electronics are very good...if the ECU sees something it doesn't like in the coolant sensor circuit, check it out or have it checked out. the coolant temp is the primary input for fuel mixture and can cause all kinds of performance issues including what you have described and a host of others. as a DIYer, you can either replace the sensor and see if that clears up your problems, or you can take it to a reputable tech and have it checked against resistance specs.

as for your O2 sensor...it probably could use one, but that's NOT what's causing your problems...and boy are they expensive...200+!

if you replace the sensor, don't forget to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for five minutes.

Visiting Guest

04-06-05, 07:48 AM   #10  
Elizabethl
Posted By: car nut There is a relay under the dash that goes bad and will not let Honda's start but when the temperature changes they will start.
where exactly is this relay located...this car (that I absolutely love to drive) has been sitting in my driveway for a year 'cause I was tired of getting stranded.....

Visiting Guest

04-06-05, 07:51 AM   #11  
Elizabethl
Ohhhhh.....LOL really loud....didn't read all of the thread before posting....sorry guys.........

04-06-05, 04:01 PM   #12  
I don't know about 1989 but check with Honda to see if they were recalled. In 91 they had trouble with the ingitors in Accords and had a recall. I still have the factory repair procedure for those.

Every Honda tech I have asked said 02 sensors on Honda's seldom go bad. When they do it is usually the heater which only effects it when the car is warming up. Other cars call for them to be replaced at certain intervals. I thought I should do so on my Honda's but they talked me out of it.

I'm not sure but I don't think the relay is expensive.

Visiting Guest

04-06-05, 08:41 PM   #13  
cluelessneville
thanks for the help, guys. I'm gonna attempt replacing the ECT sensor. Hope it ain't too much moolah

Thnaks

Search this Thread