01, Olds Aurora

Old 04-05-05, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01, Olds Aurora

I recently purchased a 2001 Olds Aurora, 4.0 V-8 with 30,000 Miles. I'm not having a problem with anythng, I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any recurring problems with these vehicles. And also , it has a bose stereo system with a theft deterent system. And I would like to know how to get the code for the radio in case I need to remove the battery or in case it goes dead. All information will be appreciated

Old 04-05-05, 07:43 PM
M
Known problems that I am aware of is water pump failure and oil consumption.
Water pump replacement is not too costly, but new valve guides are. This is an all aluminum engine block and cylinder heads. I have seen a few head gaskets fail, which would allow coolant into the cylinders and break off a few cylinder head bolts from the pistons trying to compress the coolant. There may be other issues, but this is what I have seen in the past few years.

These problems that I had dealt with were on vehicles with over 80,000 miles.

Old 04-13-05, 06:13 PM
Can anyone tell me if it is even possible to retrieve the security codes for the radio. Thanks for any replies

Old 04-13-05, 06:25 PM
M
Did you ever enter a security code of your own? If not, there is a proceedure to pull 2 sets of codes from the radio. Then you have to call a Delco # and enter those codes into the phone. They then give you a code to reenter into the radio to unlock it. Unfortunately, I do not have the info here at home, its at work. If noone else posts the info you request by tomorrow, I will.

Old 04-15-05, 12:19 PM
Will that procedure work with a bose stereo system? Thanks for the assistance

Old 04-15-05, 05:01 PM
M
Apparently, you will need a scan tool to perform a new radio set-up prceedure. You will need to take the car to the dealer and have them do it. It should cost no more than $40, that is if they even charge you for their 5 minutes of work.
Sorry for the above post, as I had made an assumption and was wrong.

Old 04-16-06, 01:57 AM
D
Do some research, the Olds V8 engine is the sister engine to the Cadillac northstar, but the (244cid) displacement is smaller than the northstar, and the engine block is made out of Iron, rather than aluminum. The heads are aluminum, but the block is Iron. The Oil consumption, is due to the engine having 32 valves, and new owners never checking the oil level within the first 1,000-3,000 miles keeping it topped up to the full mark during breakin, so a poor cylinder wall wear pattern developes, because with the oil rings on the bottom of the pistons, are lubricated with splash from the crank and oil pan (remember the cross hatch marks on the clyinder walls, honed in to help the breaking in of the rings, well this means they need all the lubrcation, and cooling they can get until they are seated in properly). This is a problem with many auto gas, and truck diesel engines, when brand new, the owners think it should not use oil, so they never check it, until it is to late, (two quarts low)Damage done. Also the vehicle if run beyond oil change intervals, with poor quality multi-grade oils (10w 40) or (5w-30), which the Aurora requires a 10w30 grade, and allowed to run lower than the add mark on the stick, this will cause excessive valve guide wear, due to upper engine oil starvation. Ever wonder why engines drop valves? Well under these conditions of running engines below levels, and with poor worn out oils, the keepers that hold the valves in place, wear out, and oops, let go. Now, the problem with many of the water pumps, is the o-ring seal on the aluminum water pump case leaks ( I think it shrinks with excessive heating and cooling), and the fix even from the local dealerships was to add a stop leak additive, with water pump lubricant.

Old 04-16-06, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 160 Likes on 124 Posts
I could be thinking of a different vehicle, but it seems to me I remember there being some aggravating issues with the electrical system on Auroras. Among other things, I think the battery and one of the main electrical boxes is under the back seat; don't spill anything back there.

Old 04-20-06, 04:08 PM
D
I'm sure the battery being under the right side rear seat, takes some getting used to, for us American car owners. The fact is Audi, and Volkswagen along with other automakers have been doing it for years. I worked with Audi's in the early 80's and thats where the battery was located, under the back seat. As far as electrical problems built into the Aurora, I know of none. My 1996 now has now exceeded 120,000 miles, and I have no problems yet, battery is original. I think its new located protects it from the elements of extreme temps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: