Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Pontiac grand am brakes

Visiting Guest

04-06-05, 08:16 AM   #1  
deb789
98 Pontiac grand am brakes

What is the best brakes for my Pontiac Grand Am? Im replacing mine every 6 months. I get mine at auto zone.

Sponsored Links

VA

04-06-05, 08:23 AM   #2  
stop buying by price alone...

...and buy mid grade or premium grade pads.

also...if you are lead footed, adjust your driving habits.

i have 92k on a 2000 chevy tahoe...still has the original pads...because neither driver abuses the brakes

04-06-05, 08:33 AM   #3  
I have seen brake pads wear out in 6 months! More than once. In each case, they are the high priced ceramic brake linings, not the standard factory installed metallic ones.

The ceramic linings do have one great feature. They tend to keep brake dust off your expensive mag wheels. You know what I mean if you've ever tried to clean your wheels.

For longivity, buy anything except the ceramic linings.

VA

04-06-05, 09:43 AM   #4  
my tahoe...

...has ceramic pads from the factory.

04-06-05, 10:18 AM   #5  
ok then,

if your replacement brake linings are wearing down in 6 to 12 months and if your vehicle came from the factory with metalic linings then your worn out replacement linings may be ceramic, and not metalic.

To the best of my knowledge the Grand Am has factory metalic brakes.

I am not endorsing either metalic nor ceramic brake linings. I am merely sharing my first hand knowledge of ceramics wearing out prematurely on some vehicles.

Search this Thread